*VERY Urgent help needed please*

Discussion in 'Engines' started by BEAN, Feb 13, 2006.

1. BEAN New Member

Hi,

Very silly question for you :lol:

If piston No1 is at the very top of its stroke then is the crank at TDC

Thanks
    Edited by: BEAN

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The crank is, but remember there are 2 TDC's when thinking of the engine as a whole - TDC on the exhaust stroke (inlet valve closed, exhaust valve open) and TDC on the combustion stroke (both closed).

3. BEAN New Member

The problem I have is that there doesnt seem to be any timing marks inside the hole on the gearbox and nothing on the crank pulley.

Ive put piston No1 at the top of its stroke and set the cam pulley inline with the markings on it and the rocker cover. Im told this will be a crude way of getting the valve timing done but Im now to scared to start the car and want to check here:lol:

4. BEAN New Member

Can anyone confirm this is right ?? I need to get my car running by morning [:s]

5. BEAN New Member

anyone wanna help an girl out[:^(]

6. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    set no1 to tdc with general screwdriverand marks on cam pully. will be ok! sod theflywheel mark

7. BEAN New Member

Youve lost me there :lol:Do what withgeneral screwdriver [:s]

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

put a screwdriver, wooden spoon, whatever, down the plug hole. Then slowly turn it by hand until it's at it's highest point.

9. BEAN New Member

And then if the marks on the cam pully line up then it should all work ok [:s]

10. BEAN New Member

Right well Ive made sure the cam marks line up and turned the engine over by hand a few times and everything seems ok :lol:

Then I tried to start the car and it turned over and over but nothing [:x]I looked around the engine bay and the big pipe that comes out of the back of the airbox wasnt attached to the inlet pipe above it [:$][:$][:$]So ive put that back on and tried to start again but the battery is now flat :lol:and the booster is on charge (ready in 30 min ish)

So if ive done everything (timing wise) correctly and that pipe is not attached will that stop the engine from starting ??

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

And if they don't, then turn it another crank until they do. Then your flywheel mark, cam pulley mark, etc. should alll be in line.

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You answered too quick! Yep, if that inlet pipe is off your engine won't even think about starting......

13. BEAN New Member

Thanks, That makes me feel alot better :)

Its just a matter of just waiting for the booster now [:x]

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Lol - I just use my old diesel Merc and a set of truck jump leads - probably the world's biggest battery charger, as it doesn't drive at the minute, but the alt is huge and the battery is too - just connect them up and it'll jump anything straight off........ :lol:

15. BEAN New Member

:lol:Mines in the garage and my other car (Saxo [:$]) is on the drive so I couldnt just jump it.

Well its alive :p:pFirst turn of the key with the booster and it started all be it a bit rough !!!!! I adjusted the dizzy and have to have it on fully turned (advanced) and it sounds like it still wants more. I have got a timing light YET so I cant check it properly but it looks like ive accidentily put the timimg belt on one tooth out [:x]so ive got that to sort out tomorrow [:s]

TheSecondComing + munchulike thank you very much for all of your help [:D]

16. Iggy82 Forum Member

Where do you live? I'm doing my timing with a stroboscopic light tomorrow, I could always lend it to you if you live close?

I live in Baldock, North Herts

17. BEAN New Member

Thanks for the offer but im in North Yorkshire :lol:so a bit far away. Im going to get one when ive got time on Wednesday :)

18. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

tis ok my friend - did you ensure the dizzy was pointing towards the tdc mark also???? - why were you doing the timing? there are loads of tricks if you were doing a belt change to ensure you are 100% right!

19. BEAN New Member

Yeah I was doing the belt (badly :lol:)

So what are these tricks ??

20. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

tipex pullies and belt in situ - pull bet off and transfer marks to new belt is one that my mate told me - i just mark the pullies to the block.

i remember reading a thread in here about tricks if you search timing i am sure there are only a handful of threads to read - some are funny!

" run engine with belt guards off - get stanley knife - cut blade in 2 - lower tension - fit new belt partially - cut off old half - slide new one fully on" - i wouldn`t try that