Viable insurance?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by trig, Feb 8, 2010.

1. trig

trig Forum Member

Hello,

I'm looking for insurance for my mk2 Golf GTI 16V and so far have had no luck. I've tried Adrian Flux and the best they could do was 2000 comp and 1240 TPFT, including limited mileage of 150 p/a. I called HIC and they said they doubted they could do any better as they are Flux's sister company. Only mods are non standard alloys and it's been lowered.

The best quote I have got so far is from Bell (~1000) who insure my mk4 GTI and that is on the assumption that they will match my NCB (policy claims they could).

I'm 20 y/o, no NCB spare but have 2 years on my current car, limited mileage is alright as I'm at uni and will only use it when I am home.

Is it worth waiting until I turn 21 in May?

2. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Give Brentacre a try.

3. smp1987 Forum Member

that not bad for you mate im 23 and for me to get a 16v mk2 i was quoted 800 will 2 year no claims so don't think you will get any better than what you are quoted

4. trig

trig Forum Member

I did a quick quote to see what it would be like once I turn 21 and iirc it was about 7-800.

Shame I can't afford that in my current situation. Would sell the mk4 but I need something reliable to use while I am working on the mk2. Damn not being able to just transfer it between the 2 as and when I need to.

5. smp1987 Forum Member

it just life mate i had to wait to get my GTI

6. Willber Forum Member

That's unfortunate for you.

I have been getting quotes for my MK2 GTi to use as a 2nd vehicle from Adrian Flux (who I am currently insured on with my daily driver) and also Brentacre so far.

Brentacre are cheaper for modified cars, I received a quote of 480 on a normal car policy (not classic) TPFT

Adrian Flux were more expensive at 525 on a Classic Policy with a garaging clause, but this was Fully Comp only.

I feel for you believe me! I have been in exactly the same position many times before.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Most students do fairly low mileage. Why do you need two cars?

Are you sure about that limited mileage figure?

8. trig

trig Forum Member

I don't do too many miles being a student but I love driving so do a fair mileage.

I need/have 2 cars because the mk2 was bought as a project by myself and a mate but now I am buying out his share so he can start his own. Hence, I need my mk4 to get to and from uni and because if the mk2 is off the road then I still need to be able to commute etc.

The mileage I put from Adrian Flux is incorrect, it's supposed to be 1500.

I'll give Brentacre a ring tomorrow and see what they can do for me, if not then i'll be waiting until i turn 21. May even be for the best, concentrate on exams and use it as a reward.

9. trig

trig Forum Member

Good news everyone!

Had a call from Bell/Admiral as a courtesy call after I did a quote, they offered me a multicar quote as follows;

Insure mk2 from 15/02/2010 comprehensive with 2 years NCB matched, 895 with 600 total excess, reduces to 500 when I turn 21, annual mileage of 2000mi.

Mk4 added in November when it's Bell insurance expires with 3 years NCB earned. 140 to continue it on Admiral policy to expire 15/02/2011 (555 per annum), where I have been told they will award me with 4 years NCB! Total excess of 500, which reduces to 400 in May.

Effectively if I take the policy I am paying the equivilent of just under 1500 a year for a mk2 16v GTI and a mk4 GTI, comprehensive.

Just need to find the money... Anyone want to buy a soul??