video camera mounts

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by gillm, Aug 9, 2007.

1. gillm

gillm ***** User

not sure if this is the right place to post this but where can i get a mount that goes on the inside of the windscreen for my video camera ?

i have found this , but is there a cheaper option ? http://www.b-hague.co.uk/camera_suction_pads_vacuum_mounts.htm

i have used the above and it is very good but damm it's pricey

2. Dub20vt Forum Member

3. ColinT Forum Member

I've an SM7 (bottom one on that page) that I don't use any longer. If you want to buy it drop me a pm.

I've made my own from two bits of alloy strip. Bolts into the radio space (I leave that bit on all the time) and the other bit (fitted to camcorder) sits on top. Angle is just right.

If you fancy making one let me know and I'll take some pics of mine.

4. Dub20vt Forum Member

i'm going to be using a clamp to mount off of my rollcage. so the camera will sit between the seats on the diagonal.

5. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

I've seen this in maplins its a Mini Camera Suction Mount
    only 7.99 but I not sure if it would be man enough for the job?

6. Kitsune Forum Member

I've got something like like (also via B-Hauge). Used it quite a few times with a number of video cameras and it's very handy. My only problem in the Mk1 is wind noise (which you probably wouldn't get with a suction mount) so I've now got an external mic which I've placed just behind the bulkhead. Should get to test it tomorrow.

7. andrewchapple Forum Member

Just bought the b-hague headrest mount for road cars and the super clamp for caged cars with race seats and thus no head rests.
    Look good so far and excellent service from them.
    I think you get what you pay for and if you buy a cheap one and your camera goes flying that can be dangerous and expensive!

8. 16valver Forum Member

What type of camera mounts are folks using to film at the ring?

I don't think I can run a headrest type as the Impreza seats are one piece and don't have a separate headrest and I thought that the windscreen mounted efforts were a bit too obvious, i.e. pretty hard to cover up should you come across an accident and officials might see it?

As far as I know, filming is not allowed but obviously people still do! What is the best type of mount for some stealth filming?

9. ColinT Forum Member

Guys I know use bullet cams connected to the av input on the camcorder. Can mount behind the grille and put the camcorder in the glovebox.

10. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I've used the B-hague headrest one before, no problems.
    Camera was an old one 2kg's but it held it steady.

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

I used 2 pieces of wood, 1 piece of aluminium & a few screws :lol: :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It did for the day

12. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

I'd like to see one like that but with a strap that goes around the camera.

14. Dub20vt Forum Member

Liking that!

and a reasonable price too! Think one of those with a strap made up would be nigh on perfect for a car with a cage.

does it give much camera shake or is it quite sturdy??

15. gillm

gillm ***** User

good find :)

16. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Just ordered some cables and splitters off them but the cameras are expensive, will see if I can find the name of the place I got mine from

17. Jommanjo Forum Member

I try to mount the camera close to the screen these days as the footage when mounted to the diagonal tends to be v.overexposed. Usually pax side on the vertical bar, but driver's side at the ring for quick fit/removal, and doesn't get in the way or obscure view, just.

Had a ride in a swiss guy's e30 Bm track car at the ring last weekend, ex Bm tester, he had a very gucci flip down pod mounted to upper screen bar, linked to his SD recorder thingy. He had permission to film tho.

18. jtothez Forum Member

haha

I made one very similar!

was just a bar of ally, with two holes for the headrest, and then a bolt to hold the camera

worked a treat! although, my camera is a very light small one

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Mine when i used that are in my signature & as you can see with a wide angle lens came out great taking in all the dash & steering wheel.

Would prefer something a little safer next time as there is only 1 bolt holding the camera down, the same as the clamp above someone posted, it should at least have some kind of strap around it.

EDIT: Only problem when you attach them to a cage you need some anti-vibration/stability option in the camera.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  20. Kitsune Forum Member

I actually turn off the anti-vibrate feature on my camera (attached to the cage) as it gives a better picture. It doesn't judder like you'd expect it to. I will edit my recent footage (using the excellent ext mic for much better sound) and get it on the tube.

Also, even with only 1 bolt, all of my cameras have been fine, and I've gone through a heavy weight camera down to quite a small one.