Viewing a Corrado VR6 tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by p0jy, Nov 3, 2007.

1. p0jy Forum Member

I'm viewing a 91k 1994 VR6 tomorrow with FVWSH..

I've found a checklist on Corrado.net..

Apart from the usual bodywork/interior/electrics...what mechanical issues should I be looking out for....

Thanks in advance..

2. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    How much is it for ?
    Test the correct operation of the spoiler when being driven.
    Test the handbrake lever in that it does not come up too high in which case the welding is about to come off.
    Under the bonnet, check the state of the gear change cables, especially the ends

3. Claypole Forum Junkie

That everything electrical working.

And the lights/fogs/indicators aren't broken or chipped as they cost a fortune to replace. [:^(]

Oh and do all the checks you have listed BEFORE you go for a drive in it as afterwards you'll not care what condition it's in only the noise and speed. :lol:

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

cam chain guides are meant to cause a rattle when theyre worn and are a pig to sort (from what ive read)

5. Supercharged Forum Member

Headlight lenses and indicators are cheap as chips - only the fogs worth worrying about...

Main thing i'd say is to get good bodywork and as much service history as pos... if its been looked after you should see alot of cash spent on it!

Suspension components (dampers / bushes) should have been changed by now, chains usually need doing between 100-130k miles - Stealth charge about 750 to change these with a new clutch or 1500 with a head rebuild...

It's a hard one really, VR's are getting on a bit now and very costly to maintain, i'd only buy one if it had either had shed loads of work done or was dirt cheap...

Parts quality also important as Corrado's and in particular VR's seem to wear parts much quicker than the same same stuff sitted to Golfs etc, GSF / ECP /Febi bits are simply not good enough and don't last anywhere near as long as genuine, keep this in mind when looking at service history!

6. grozzy15 Forum Member

SUNROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure it works both ways as it's a right sod to sort out as the sliders and lifters usually snap and it's headlining out, roof and frame off...

Gearchange - check the linkage at the gearbox end as it's prone to going pop..

Rev counters can pulse or slip..

Oh yeah, check your interior trims too as a lot are obsolete now..

Heater mechanisms go too.. Door handles...

Oh, power steering belt is a right sod to do too.. (especially if it's got A/C)

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know..