Vivitar 400 mm lens ????

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by mark25, Oct 29, 2009.

1. mark25 Forum Junkie

Extra focal length required for wildlife and laziness on nikon d40 DX camera.

Just noticed an big old Vivitar 400 mm lens not too far from me, about 50 quid.

Prob is: It would be totally manual, i don't think the cameras light meter would even work through it, so i'd be working blind, with the LCD as feedback of course.

What do you lot think?

for 150 i could get a 2x teleconvertor for my 55 - 200 and then everything, inc VR (i think[:s] ) would work, is that a much better option?

Also for 100 quid i could get a full-frame ready 70 - 300, everything would work PASM, but it would be MF. or with 2x teleconvertor giving 600mm[8D]

Any thoughts?

TIA MArk

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

If the Vivitar is local to you, could you not go along with your camera and ask to try it? And maybe knock the price down some more?

Option 3 sounds interesting. More details?

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  4. richwig83 Forum Member

5. mark25 Forum Junkie

It's gone anyway, i was beginning to think it wasn't such a good idea anyway. i've seen those other cheap 500mm or 800mm lenses going cheap 2nd hand with people saying it basically wasn't any good/ what they expected.

A 2nd hand 70 - 300 DX with AF is a lot better bet now i recon. cropped to the equivalent of 400mm will be better quality than the cheap 400 anyway i recon....

6. richwig83 Forum Member

There are some sigma 70-200 on ebay for about 530... if you can stretch to that.. they hold there value well too!