VR6 Auto to Manual swap in progress and have a few questions

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Sully114, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Sully114 Forum Member

Hi guys I have finally got round to starting my VR auto to manual swap which is going great so far but I have a few questions:

1. What does the pin look like that attatches the clutch pedal to the pedal box? I thought I had all the bits but couldnt find this part in my swap box.

2. I have got the Auto box off and the manual is ready to go on but I want to make sure the timing mark on the flywheel is in the correct position, whats the easiest way to to do this, Im guess just get 1st cylinder to TDC and then slap the flywheel on in that position?

3. I have never installed a clutch before so is there anything I need to bear in mind there?

4.I have VAGCOM and want to use it to recode the ecu to manual mode. I have read in my bentley manual that you have to change the software code which looks pretty straight forward. Has anyone ever tried this? and if so did you have any issues?. As I notice the auto loom has loads of extra connectors that the manual prob doesnt.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

1. there's a few variants in pedal boxes across the VW range obviously, but it's just a bush, and a bar that passes through both brake and clutch pedals with spring clips either end.
    Does this diagram help? Part 12 is the bush and 15 the clip.
    [​IMG]

2. The flywheel only bolts on one way iirc

3. Don't bend the fingers, they're quite delicate and make sure you get it centred properly before tightening down the pressure plate bolts evenly and at opposites using the right torque - you can centre the clutch by eye, as I always do, however there is a tool for the job. Put a small amount of grease on the input shaft. Also, make sure you use new bolts for the flywheel and the pressure plate, they are one-time use only.

4. Never tried it!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  3. Sully114 Forum Member

This may sound a like a dumb a** question but I want to put my flywheel and clutch back on and dont have any obvious timing marks anywhere to get my flywheel lined back up properly. Whats the easiest way to get the flywheel timing mark in the correct position? Do I have to take the timing chain covers off to do this?or is there an easier reference point I could use? It doesnt say anything in my bentley manual about it

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. Sully114 Forum Member

Anyone got any ideas please I really wanna get the flywheel back on if poss[:s]

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The flywheel will only go on 1 way, as the bolt holes are offset. the pressure plate afaik either there are locking pins that prevent you putting it on the wrong way or it doesnt actually matter which way you fit it

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

look closely at the FW bolt holes in the crank, one of them is offset inwards so the FW will only go on when that hol likes up with the offset one on the FW. looks hard, it's very subtle, but stands out a mile once you offer it up.

7. Sully114 Forum Member

Thanks alot for that PhatVR6 and rubjonny. When Rubjonny mentioned that it only goes on one way I looked at the mounting plate and flywheel but couldnt see any difference in the bolts, but just goes to show you how you can miss stuff like this. Thanks again guys for your help I will let you know how I get on.

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

also worth removing the bearing from the end of the crank too, not needed on a manual. just to eliminate the chance of it ever falling out.

9. Sully114 Forum Member

Can that be done easily? I didnt really want to open the engine up I dont have to, but if its a simple thing to do I will.

10. Sully114 Forum Member

Having a bit of trouble getting the gearbox to mate up with block. If you look at the attatched picture there seems to be two sleves that are the same diameter? Is one of those supposed to come out?

[​IMG]

The transmission is te standard 02A for vr6

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

it looks like the bush from the old gearbox has got stuck it the block

just remove it with a punch and hammer

12. Sully114 Forum Member

Yea I was just a little uncertain which one to remove at first, but took gearbox back out and it came out pretty easily with the help of my trusty chissle. Got the gearbox back on again and had no more problems.

13. Sully114 Forum Member

Im having a bit of a mare getting the pedalbox out, I have undone all the bolts holding it in but it seems I have to takle the steering rack out? is this the case? or is there an easier way.

14. rubjonny

do you mean the steering column?

15. Sully114 Forum Member

Yea lol it was a long day yesterday

16. rubjonny

i think you can get it out with column in place but its tricky! troube with the column is it held in with shear bolts, but if you took the dash out you can pull the entire knee bar forward with the column still attached. bit of a mare but a good excuse to do the heater matrix if its been playing up!

17. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Didn't I say in the previous post that the flywheel bolts on one way[:s]

18. Sully114 Forum Member

You did indeed funkbaron, its the first time I ever tried anything like this and after eye balling it I couldnt see any diff between the bolts offset diameter. I really didnt wanna put it on wrong and shoulda spent more time offering it up that day. After looking at it fresh the following weekend I could see it clearly[:$]

19. develeski Forum Member

Too free the engine up a little bit, i would recommend having the flywheel skimmed if you have not fitted it yet. Of all the n/a mods i did this made the most noticeable difference.

20. Sully114 Forum Member

Ok so got it all back together and everthing reconnected, swapped ecu code from auto 00001 to 00000 manual mode but when I scan the transmission address it still thinks I have 02m and wont let me start car becuase it thinks im in drive on the autogearbox thats not installed anymore. Do vr6 use the ecu for auto and manual transmissions?

Oh and looking for lightened flywheel if anyone has one?