VR6 Aux Water Pump

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Deako, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I havent heard my electric run on water pump operate yet. I want to make sure its working as it should. Can anyone tell me which pins to short on the sender plug on the side of the thermo housing to test it?

Also, can anyone tell me wether the rad fan controller has anything to do with the running of this? I have removed that as part of my conversion to tidy up the wiring. The Mk2 fan controller is a much more simple afair.

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

bump

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Would it be possible to fit a timed relay and a switch in the car to run the pump after i turn the ignition off?

Still need to find out if the pump actually works as well.

Any ideas?

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

it doesn't always stay on....not sure what dictates that it does tho.

if you turn the ignition on (but not start car) can you hear it?

5. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

it also comes on with the fan run on after you switch the car off.
    Basicly the pump should run whenever the fan is on or when the car is running.

6. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

the pump is controled by the fan control unit so this is why it is not working as you have removed the control unit.

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Would it be sufficient to be powered from a relay after the ignition is switched off for about 1 minute?

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Also, this isnt the only water pump is it? So i cant see that it would run permanently when the engine is running???

9. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

if the pump is not running i would think it would restrict the flow of water.
    i would connect it to the ignition so it comes on when the car is started and also connect a relay to the fan so when the fan comes on (after the ignition is switched of) it will run the water pump.
    if you are not going to use the aux pump then just bypass it (remove and connect the pipes together)
    there is a normal pump too.

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Is it not essential then? I thought it helped circulate cooling water after the engine was run. Id rather have it working to be honest. I dont think its meant to run all the time though, and my car hasnt overheated, the fan kicks in when its meant to .

My plans are, fit a time delay relay which will operate the cooling pump when the ignition is switched off. I will also run a live fused feed from the switch live on the fan loom so that when they kick in the pump works too.

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

its deffo suposed to be on all the time when the engines running.

it needs two water pumps as there's somthing like 10 litres of water to shift. would expect big probs if it failed.

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

So basically, what we are saying is that now my car is bound to be f**ked? Some 2 days after completing the conversion on it?

13. FABVR6 Forum Member

Not yet Just sort it!!!

14. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

The auxilary is only to keep water circulating after engine turn off and I believe main pump does all the work when running.
    You can most definetly hear it after engine is switched off and even if ignition is turned on briefly it will run even though engine is cold.

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

yep...sorry should have worded it as 'likely to cause problems'

16. OSV

OSV Forum Member

A friend had a faulty auxillary pump on his and it caused a pressured system blowing any weakspots ie hoses radiaor, gasket. Was fine again without lasting damage once the problem was identified and sorted.

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I blew a soft hose after the rollers at Stealth on sunday.

Surely the electric water pump is not just dependant on the rad controller loom?

On ignition live there must be a part of the main loom that feeds the voltage to the pump?

So does the pump operate permanently on ignition live, or is it just a run on pump? Theres seems to be conflicting opinions on what and when it runs.

Im thinking of installing an ignition live, a timed relay, and a live feed from the rad fan switch. That way it will run while the engine is running, will run when the ignition is switched off and will run when the rad fans kick in. Would i be too cautious with this?

18. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

The aux pump is operated via the control unit, with out the unit the pump will not run unless you make up a loom.
    i don't think i have noticed mine staying on when the car is switched off (unless the fan is running).
    if you do what you say in your last post you should be ok, (not sure if you need it to run on without the fan but it can't do any harm)
    pump should run when:
    ignition is on.
    fan is on.
    run on when fan is on.

19. cliveyp Forum Member

mine definately runs whenever i turn the ignition off, whether the fan is on or not. I seem to remember the Corrado one only ran when the fan was running. Perhaps this is just another OBD1/2 difference. [:s]

20. sixpot Forum Member

DITTO Clive. Its purely a coolant run-on pump,and works after you have switched the engine off whether its hot or cold.Supposed to stop any hot spots forming.