vr6 baffled sump?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Rigs, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

I remember reading thatthe oldmk3 VR6's tend to have oil pressure problems sustaining sharp left hand turns and it is worying me...

Am I right in assuming the standard vr6 sump isn't baffled? If so would a baffled sump be what's needed or is there some other trickery to prevent oil starvation? Anyone know of anyone that sells a baffled sump that'll fit a vr6? (it's not the same as on the later vr's is it? do any of those have a baffled sump that will fit?)

I'm in the process of buying a oil pressure gauge so at least I'll be able to watch it...

2. Atlas 12v Forum Member

I was under the impression baffled sumps prevented a surge in oil movement as a posed to starvation...

3. davey j Forum Member

Yes, an oil movement in the sump from one side to the other leads to.......................................bottom end starvation. Where is the oil pick up? In the sump. So if the sump runs dry anywhere on account of inertia from hard cornering you get starvation.

If TSR don't do one I am sure you could get a local engineering firm to baffle the sump for you. Well worth the spend that if you drive hard.