VR6 block question!

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by j4cko56, Mar 15, 2016.

1. j4cko56 New Member

Currently I have an AQP 2.8 24v engine, however I have the chance to bag myself a fully rebuilt low mileage BDE (later 2.8 24v) head, along with all the water pumps, oil pumps etc etc. What I need to know, is will it work with the AQP block? I know it will bolt on no issue, but I know the chains are slightly different so I'm not sure it will work. If it won't work, what is it thats different, and could parts be swapped over?

Jack

2. j4cko56 New Member

No one know? :/

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the block and pistons are the same
    but as you said the chains and guides are different one of sprockets as are the cam sprockets though would think that would come with the head chains side cover cam cover both ecu looms ecu coil packs and anything else i've forgotten
    would be just as easy doing a engine swap like fitting a r32 engine would be about the same work

if it was me i'd stick with the head you have

4. j4cko56 New Member

I was going to buy the entire engine but the block was decked too much and thus it is useless. I'm not wanting this head for power gains, I'm using a Holset turbo! I'm wanting it because its had all the work done that I would do anyway and its low mileage, and comes with chain/tensioner kit, pumps, covers etc. The VW diagrams show that all the sprockets on the block are identical on both, so if the blocks are identical it should bolt on with the new tensioner kit that comes with it, even though the head is different.

He's going to have a look tomorrow, but from pics we have they look pretty darn similar!