VR6 conversion query

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by nez1978, Jun 10, 2004.

1. nez1978 Forum Member

Small question:-

someone has just offered me a VR6 engine from a mk3 golf, 2.8, not sure of year, out of a crash damaged vehicle they have at work. And i have been looking at doing a transplant into my 1991 MK2 16v.

Minor problem here is that its got an auto box attached to it. What sort of problems is this gonna give me? Is it worth getting this engine if the price is right. It comes with its entire subframe assembly and loom.

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

buy the engine without the 'box then find a vr6 'box separatly?

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

you may need to change the ECU too.

have a word with matt at designa dubs.

4. NormanCoal Forum Member

Yes, definitely needs a different ECU, maybe even a full loom change - but a good thing is that the engine will have had an easier life

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

you'll need a lcutch and flywheel too.

not even sure if the drivesahfts are any good either.

6. nez1978 Forum Member

this is the thing, i knew i'd need to source a gearbox, but i know auto's run differently to manuals, higher in revs, so i did wonder about the ecu. I'll have to see what the price ends up for this unit, if its cheap i might get it, and set about sourcing the other partys i need.

7. NormanCoal Forum Member

think of it as a decent engine with subframe and price accordingly - any other bits you can use will then be a bonus

8. nez1978 Forum Member

can ecu's be got hold of easily. I've already converted the wishbones, hubs, and anti-roll bars to mk3 spec. Would probably be the wiring loom, and ecu i would be worried about picking up....oh....and a flywheel.

9. NormanCoal Forum Member

10. veedubber Forum Member

fly wheel. I have one sitting in my skip, come round and pick it up if you want

Stef

11. nez1978 Forum Member

nice one veedubber, i may need to do just that. So is matt at designa dubs quite a hospitable bloke then, don't usually like botherin people out of the blue like. Think ineed to see how much the guy wants for this engine.

12. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

My mk3 vr was an auto that had been converted to a manual.

I bought it off some scruffy c**t who i couldn't immagine changing looms and ecu's.

[:s] [:s] [:s] ??????????

What if you ran the same loom and ecu but just changed the box and cablechanger? What would it drive like?

13. nez1978 Forum Member

not sure if that would work 1990, but spose only one way to find out. Reason i'd do this conversion is cause i have 2 friends who will do the mechanics for me.

Not got a price for the engine yet either.U still got that flywheel veedubber?

Does the vr6 have the same box as a normal valver? Would a valver box from a 1991 mk2 fit?

14. veedubber Forum Member

skip man came this morning(7am!!) and took the it away before i had a chance to pull it out. Sorry.

you can't use a 16v box. You have to use a box from a 6 cylinder engine so it all fits up correctly

Stef