VR6 Conversion

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by SOLIDUS, Sep 2, 2008.

1. SOLIDUS Forum Member

I'm planning on a VR6 conversion for my Mk2 Jetta but had a few questions;

1) How easy is it to do A DIY conversion
    2) Which donor car am i best using

Cheers

2. prof Forum Addict

what year is your jetta?

3. kerrly Forum Member

yo,
    depending on whether your jetta is a gti spec already or a carb it can be moderately difficult or more difficult. If you have a car is carb'd then you will need a fair few more parts. ideally the best thing to do is find a cheap/written off mk3 golf VR and transfer as many parts as possible.

have a look on mk2vr6.com

btw you were the guy asking about the rado boot spoiler on a jetta - did you go to E38 - there was a blue vento with that mod- looks pretty dam cool imo!!!!

4. SOLIDUS Forum Member

It's a 92 on a k plate[:D]

5. kerrly Forum Member

they seem like a good bunch on mk2vr6, there is also the vr6oc.com which is good an has a mk2 section on there.

from what i can understand with a K plate you have CE2 later electrics so the VR6 engine loom can be plug an play and you can keep your original rear and lighting loom. You will have to seperate the VR loom an take just the bits you need and maybe remove a alarm/immobaliser. there are wiring diagrams on mk2vr6.

you can also use the mk3 fuel tank and in tank pump butg you will need to change your fuel lines to.

mk3 golf subframe is straight fit but you will need rado or seat toledo front cross members and use either a standard vr engine mount or you can buy a solid mount from a bloke on mk2vr. you will need to decide if you are going to go wide track an use mk3 driveshafts an hubs. its probably best for you to do this as you WILL need the 288mm discs and a larger 22mm brake servo in order to stop!

6. SOLIDUS Forum Member

Cheers mate - really appreciate all the info - also, do you know if it would be possible to use an mk2 g60 brake set up if i wanted to keep the wheels 4 stud or is it best just sticking with the mk3 set-up?

7. funkbaron Forum Junkie

8. SOLIDUS Forum Member

Excellent build thread mate - makes me want to get cracking on my project - cheers

9. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Cheers. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me, or post up on the forum. There's plenty of VRmk2 owners on here who can assist you.