vr6 coolant leak (front,crackpipe) what parts, gaskets do i need?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by dub-addict, Aug 24, 2011.

1. dub-addict Forum Member

as title suggests, I have this colossal coolant leak that drips down form the coolant crackpipe and over the oil filter flange at the front of the engine.. its pretty bad and gets worse after the engine has warmed up.

so I'm replacing all the seals or whatever is needed to make it a permanent fix

anyone know what parts are required and the best place to source cheap, asap?

any info greatly appreciated.

Bought as a daily while I work on my mk2.. well I'm back in the mk2 and work must be delayed until this is fixed :lol:

2. sum1

sum1 Forum Member

Hi mate, just recently changed mine as i thought it was leaking (turned out to be waterpump, but hey ho) Not the most fun job, the easiest way to get to it is to take front end and radiator off the car to give you easy access. While your changing the crack pipe i would recommend changing the thermostat and housing (another know weak point and cheap enough) as it would be a pain to change the crack pipe only for that to fail next. Here is a good guide for changing the pipe, it shows how to do it without taking front end off but tbh i'd do it the way i did, lot less fiddly. Here is where i bought the parts, they list it as for Corrado 2.9 (as thats what i've got in my mk2) but pretty sure they are the same parts for the 2.8 but worth checking with them first. Hope that helps

3. dub-addict Forum Member

Thanks for the info good likn I will use them soon for sure.

I found the problem today though :) got the front end off and found out that it was a split hose from the oil cooler to block so I went down to vw and ordered both oil cooler hoses and then ordered some t bolt clips of ebay to be on the safe side..worked well on my boosted g60 :lol:

so for now (or when i get the parts) problem solved.

when i had the front stripped i noticed a lot of nice shiny things so im hoping that in the past this vr has had some work done and not been neglected

4. sum1

sum1 Forum Member

That's lucky as it can be a PITA to get the new crack pipe to seal due to the corosion that builds up in the water pump housing.

5. dub-addict Forum Member

yeah i saw that on my housing, its as rusty as you like, im just happy that this wasn't the issue..today anyway :lol: