Vr6 cutting out problem

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Kennedy_17, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Hi, I have been experiencing a annoying problem with my mk3 Vr6.

It randomly cuts out as I'm driving or after being driven and started again when it's not got cold again.

The mechanic I was using said he thought it might be the engine sensor but was nearly sure that was it.

Was wondering if plugging the car into a diagnostics machine would verify this or identify another cause if it wasn't the sensor.

Have absolutely no idea what the problem is as I haven't come across this before. Was thinking it could be a alternator but it didn't seem to fit in with what the mechanic thought. Think unless you have a good idea of a problem you could speculate forever.

The mechanic I had been using can no longer fix my car due to otter commitments so,I'm without a mechanic I trust and a car at the moment.
    Have another vw but have taken that off road so it's vital to get my MK3 running again.

Thanks for your help in advance...

2. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Try giving the throttle body a clean out.

Mine kept cutting out - could not hold idle. An older thread here mentioned cleaning out the throttle body/butterfly of any oil residue caused by the breather system.

Just take the inlet pipe off before the throttle butterfly and clean up the inside of the throttle with some carb cleaner (although I used WD40 - it seemed to work) and a rag. Just dont drop anything inside there!

3. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Apologies if I posted in wrong section. I'm new to the forum and still finding my feet a bit :)
    Thanks for your reply though.

4. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Thanks for your reply and advice. It seems I may have posted in the wrong section :/

I am just learning with regards to fixing things under the bonnet myself.
    I've always entrusted that side of things to a mechanic and don't like to dabble unless I have a good idea of what I'm doing.

So far, oil changes and other maintenance things are my limitations.

Not bad for a girlie, but I'm willing to learn and get my hands dirty if it means I can fix my
    own car. Willing to learn at least so it's a start but hopefully now I'm a member here and reading up a bit may help me learn more.

I will put forward the advice you gave me to someone who knows a bit more as I wouldn't know where to start unless shown.
    I know there's manuals but it would take ms a while to suss and I need this sorted quickly so I have a car to use again.

Did your problem resolve all together once you cleaned up the pipe on your Mk3?

Regards

5. danTbone Forum Member

shame the mrk2 is of the road.
    there are many sensors , could be one .
    might be worth diagnostic done, might have to clear them ,then drive it again to see if same ones come back. could have old codes on there.

6. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Hi Dan, I messed up and forgot my tax was due on the Mk2. Have, had a lot on, and had in my mind it was due end of this month. So had been merrily driving around for last 2 weeks with no tax! Doh! Sssh... don't tell anyone! :)

Discovered I need two new tyres for it too, and want a certain kind, so in all it's going to cost me near to 350, so will have to wait. Had been thinking of giving the Gti a rest because it's been my daily runner for months. Especially seeing as winter is around the corner.

Been itching to get behind the wheel of the V6 again, as I haven't driven it, in a while. Then, the damn thing keeps cutting out on me :(

Could you recommend somewhere I could go to for the diagnostics/mechanics as the guy I was using has just given up doing mecahnics so am stuck with who to, go to.

Regards

Karen

7. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I had a weird cutting out issue on my mk2 VR - I would be driving along and it would cut out for no reason, but would start up again if I bump started it. As I was already driving it, that was easy to do, just lift the clutch and it would fire up.

It also died completely on me, would turn over but not fire. Called a mate out to tow me home and in the 15 mins it took for him to get to me, it fixed itself and was fine.

After weeks of it being fine, and then weeks of it playing about with me gain, it turned out I had a fault Crank sensor. Evidently, if it can't read the notches on the crank, it switched off all fuel and spark - hence the engine stopping.

Any of that sound familiar, and it could be the crank sensor failing. But as others have said, the best thing to do would be to find someone with Vagcom, plug it into the computer and see what if any, fault codes come up.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah id go with crank sensor as well, either that or coilpack starting to go. have a good look at the coilpack, if it has any cracks in it what i would do is take it off after car is good n hot after a run, then put it in the aering cupboard as long as possible and if you have any put some silicone packs near it. basically try to make sure there isn't any moisture inside. then fill the cracks up again with some kind of silicone sealant, see if that helps. sounds pikey but its worth a go as it wont cost you owt!

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Karen,

As been suggested, please get the vehicle scanned first before just jumping to suggested paths of failure.
    This system on these are quite good at explaining if there is a current/intermediate fault on a sensor or driver, be it open circuit or shorted.

From here we can help.
    I myself have a post Aug 95 MK3 VR6 with over 160K miles and may have seen some of your symptoms you describe.

10. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

11. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Hi, isn't it so annoying to be driving along and have your car cut out on you. Mine will not bump start once stopped and won't start again within a short time like yours did.

It's been hours later and almost made me think is the issue that's causing this needing the car to cool down and that's when it will re-start.

I know there's no point speculating, and I intend to find someone with a vagcom first and start from there.
    Fingers crossed it picks this problem up without being too much of a needle in a haystack!

I don't trust mechanics I don't know of to touch my beloved vw's so am trying to find someone who's a auto electrician to do the diagnostics first then will post what the findings were.

Forgot to mention, my problem with the Vr6 isn't intermittent,it's just a case of a def start up then a game of how long until it cuts out as I drive. Once the problem started it's never gone away.

I've been lent my friends Renualt Megane to drive so I can get to work, which is better than nothing(just about) but drives like a Pos compared to my golfs :/

12. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Thanks a lot for your advice, could be worth a try once I know what's wrong with the car.
    Frustrated by the fact I'm not that technically minded, but I guess you learn as you go with these cars.
    I'm very versed up on other starting issues such as starter motors because I've experienced that once before.

Regards

Karen

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah thats exactly what mine did with a faulty (new!) crank sensor. would cut out dead when it got to about 80 oil temp, then it wouldn't fire up untill left for 20minutes or so to cool down. it didnt show up as a code on the ecu either as the signal didnt go intermittent, just stopped dead. so as far as ecu is concerned i had stalled the car or summat :lol:

can get a usb VC cable for 10 off ebay, and a demo version of the software can be had for free. it will still read the faults but on some it'll not tyell you what they mean instead say 'register now' so you have to note the number then look the code up on here or the ross tech wiki. no big deal :)

i think the free one will still let you look at the measuring blocks as well?

14. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Yeah, I will do.

Mine is a 98 Vr6 highline. It's been a good car in general. Owned it 8 years now.
    Have only one other slight niggle with it, now and again finding first gear is a bugger.
    But I won't even get started on that right now :)

Regards

15. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Or you could bring it to the next meet and i will scan it for you:)

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If it is a Crank Sensor Fault it is likey to flag an intermittant fault on a scan tool.

Your car is later than mine, but with the same hardware and I have never had this issue.
    Get it scanned and then we will know what to do next.

17. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

18. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Ah ok, thanks :)

19. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Thank you Mat, appreciate the offer! I'm in WsM though and I know the car won't make it to Bristol.
    It will cut out as soon as it gets warm, so be lucky to drive more than 5 miles before I end up sat there stopped, cussing because it won't re-start Lol

20. Kennedy_17 Forum Member

Hi, I've had my Vr6 hooked up to a diagnostics now at Vw.

It did show up that, it was a crank sensor and as a intermittent fault.
    It makes sense and after what you've all told me here.

Hopefully that'll be an end to things and I can start driving the car again without the worry of when it will die on me.

Will let you know how I get on once they've fixed it, should be next tues/weds once the part is, in.
    Hoping to get it back weds pm in time for the meet :)

Thanks to all, for the advice btw. It's been helpful and reassuring to get some pointers.

Regards

Karen