VR6 Dodgy idling

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by mk3 Man, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mk3 Man Forum Member

hi, i own a vr6 1993 corrado, sometimes when i come up to lights etc, the idling cuts outs out, and the engine just dies,also, when i first start the car up in the mornings, its revs itself and idling again is very poor,does anyone have any idas on what this problem could be? The car is standard apart from a full stainless de cat xhaust and a k&n induction kit! any help would b great, as the cutting out bit is VERY annoying!
    Edited by: mk3 Man

2. Atlas 12v Forum Member

It will more than likely be the Idle Stabelisation Valve or "ISV" at fault. Take it off and clean it though with carb cleaner or petrol.
    On a 93' Corrado it should be just to the left of the throttle body. The valve itself is a silver metal cylinder, 2.5cm across and 7cm long. It has a electrical plus attached and a pipe at either end.

3. b'locks Forum Addict

Could also be a vaccuum leak or a fault on the throttle body like the position sensor. Whilst you've got the carb cleaner out, whip the intake pipe off the throttle body, open it up and clean that out too. It'll be difficult to start after you've done this and idle like crap so you'll probably have to hold it at 2k once it's started, until it settles.

Edited by: b'locks

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Don't use carb cleaner on ISVs, it is abrasive and will damage it internally. Use petrol :)

5. mk3 Man Forum Member

right o, i will try this tomorrow night or summit, tnaks for your help,i take it this has nothing to do with the induction kit being fitted or anything then?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

As long as you didn't damage/unplug the airflow meter on the air intake while you were fitting it then you should be ok. :)