VR6 Gearbox/Clutch Problem

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by VR6_Toby, Nov 22, 2004.

1. VR6_Toby New Member

I'm trying to work out want is wrong with my gearbox, dunno if any of you guys can help?

I have a Mk3 Golf 1992 VR6 Manual Transmission btw.

Basically one night a few months ago I was hammering through the gears, generally giving the gearbox a bit of a battering (stupid I know!). When I tried to change down to fourth, I couldn't actually get the gear stick into the position of fourth gear, nor any other gears. I pulled over and once at a stand still I managed to get first gear and worked my way up to third gear and drove home in third.

The car has sat on my drive for the last few months as I've not had the time to look at it properly.

Yesterday I had a look at it and has checked the gear linkage which seems ok. When changing gear under the bonnet, it won't go into second. It seems like something is not aligning properly. The clutch is still functioning so I don't think it is that. I can feel vibrations through the clutch pedal, and something under the bonnet is making a loud whirling sound, but that may be because it has been sat on my drive for a while.

Has anyone got any ideas what i've done and what to look for? I'm hoping it is something simple that has breaken as I can't afford a gearbox or clutch at the moment.

Thanks

2. Phoenix Forum Member

does sound like a gearbox as mine dide that same thing when that went in my polo, everything worked fine bar the changing gear bit :p snapped my mainshaft between 1-2, 2-3, and 4-5 [:s]

3. VR6_Toby New Member

How did you get that diagnosed, did a garage look at it for you or it is something I can check? Sorry for my stupid questions, but I don't know much about gearboxes.

4. Phoenix Forum Member

i took it off, it was only a 1.3 8v 1988 model so it was easy enough, i know its a bit harder for you but i think you may have to take it in to a garage really.

5. VR6_Toby New Member

Did you check anything else before removing the gearbox?

6. smithy Forum Member

I'd check the gear linkage alignment before you start pulling gearboxes out. Sounds to be like it might have just slipped or something, not 100% sure on how the cable change setup is adjusted, im sure someone on here can tell you.

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, if you undo the cables from the selector rod that goes down into the gearbox, then try selecting gears with selector rod yourself you'll be able to see if its just linkeage alignment.

it does sound like something more serious though, 02a's don't usually have any alignment probs.

8. VR6_Toby New Member

That's what I thought would be the most likely cause. I know that the gearbox uses a hydraulic gear linkage though so it is slightly different.

9. VR6_Toby New Member

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

it uses cable gear linkeage, and hydraulic clutch ;)

11. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I think that the cablechange requires adjustment so a trip to dealer may well help.
    Previous owner of my VR6 had similar problem also.
    Edited by: DAVE 2227