VR6 keeps throwing codes and runs a bit rich

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Sully114, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Sully114 Forum Member

Ok so I scanned my 96 golf vr6 today as it seems to be running a little rich recently, once scanned I got these codes:

---------------------------------------------------------

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 021 906 256
    Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC M3.8.1 HS V02
    Software Coding: 00000
    Work Shop Code: WSC 01268
    3 Faults Found:
    00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
    07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
    00522 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)
    27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
    P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Code 00522 keeps coming back and the other two are new, I have replaced the battery recently so that probably explains the other two but I will scan it again in a week and see if they come back. I recently replaced the coolant temp sensor with a genuine vag one to try get rid of 00522 but it keeps coming back so just wondering what to check next. Also my airbag light keeps coming back on with these codes:

VR6 Airbag codes

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 6N0 909 603 E
    Component and/or Version: AIRBAG VW2 V00
    Software Coding: 00069
    Work Shop Code: WSC 01268
    2 Faults Found:
    00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95)
    32-00 - Resistance too High
    00532 - Supply Voltage B+
    07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Could I have a short somewhere that is maybe responsible for these codes consistently coming back? Not sure if this is related but my rear wiper motor has stopped working as well and my reverse light, I have checked the fuses and bulb and they are fine so maybe an earth or wire is to blame?. Im going to test these components this weekend and see what I can find...Anyone had these codes before? if so how did you fix them...

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if youve put a new sensor in, check the wiring

i think (from the top of my head) that the wiring should have 5v across that part of the loom, its a fixed amount

3. Sully114 Forum Member

Cheers Matt82 I will get my multimeter out this weekend and see what I get...

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30 = ecu relay fault, or you have lost the main live feed for the ecu. look round the back of the fusebox for any loose single pin wires

look for loose or dodgy looking brown and brown/white wires to the engine block, but could well be related to the error above

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

that or the wiring in the loom has been damaged

6. Sully114 Forum Member

Ok so heres a quick update, I tested the coolant temp voltage and it was just below 5v, so no problem there. While I was testing it I realised I had a leak coming from under the thermousing which I have now replaced and the temp sensor code has gone for good.:thumbup: I also have a small leak coming from my auxilary water pump which is constantly dripping small amounts of water onto the gearbox. Saying this 00668 keeps coming back and im wondering whether the water dripping onto the gearbox could be causing a short in the system.. I believe the gearbox is the main earthing point on the vr so dripping water onto it could possibly cause problems. Other things I have checked are the two earth wires just behind the throttle body, they look good. Also I checked all the earthing wires under the battery tray and gave them a quick sand back to good metal and re-connected them. I had a quick check around the fuse panel for problems but couldnt really get a good look at it so going to recheck there. Would it be worth replacing the ECU relay? or is definatly wiring thats at fault here..

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I get the KL30 fault from time to time especially when the ECU is removed for remapping purposes. Maybe the battery is starting to lose its nominal state of charge. Not something I really worry about TBH.
    I would replace the Aux water pump as the hot water can damage the speedo hall sensor and knock out your fuel tank readings. Buy a new pump as this is important along with the fan run on to stop localised hot spots in the cylinder head.