Vr6 No Signal from petrol pump

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by allymac, Feb 9, 2020.

1. allymac Paid Member Paid Member

Ok car has been laid up from 2008, always inside and dry, it has had a full engine rebuild and engine back in. And not getting the petrol to send a signal ??
    I have had the pump replaced and gone round checking sensors, replaced the knock checked the ignition as well, plus the relays and all seems working there.

Any one shed any light on what I may have missed ? Car is a 96 I had owned it prior to the lay up, was a decent car no after market immob or alarms installed. Would there be any thing any one can think of now or do we need to back track the whole process again.
    I had left the engine in bits for a mechanic to rebuild so maybe any thing there should we check as well?

I will churn, but that is as far as it goes.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

On a VR MK3, the FP turns one when the ECU triggers the fuel pump relay on detection of engine speed.

3. allymac Paid Member Paid Member

we checked the ecu as well it is ok, honestly at a lose of where too go with this, every thing possible is new within the engine fully rebuilt expecting it now too turn over , and 2 months on still peeing us off.
    Any one else any info to throw into the mix...and thanks toyotec for replying.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Have you determined the fuel pump is working?

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Make sure front knock sensor is not plugged into the CKP and vice-versa.

allymac likes this.
  6. allymac Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for that will check. Possibility there would that hamper the signal?

Have head the new pump prime toyo

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  7. GVK

Does the pump run on cranking ?

8. allymac Paid Member Paid Member

Have to double check there was the initial buzz from it, I got the VDO pump 3 bar so not a ebay cheapie, let me run that by some one to the happenings when it was in and give a correct answer.
    I was under the impression that there was no running noise from these pumps when ignition is on like other cars?

9. GVK

From what I remember from my VR6 days the early cars pre 95 do prime with key on but later post 95 cars do not, they only run on cranking.

If you have a crank signal then the ECU switches the pump on on cranking.

10. bonus85 Forum Member

Yeah my post 96 only runs on cranking. Check you have the vehicle speed sensor connected on the gearbox - I have a feeling that could be part of the system.

11. GVK

VSS has nothing to do with starting, when we first converted the mk2 to VR6 it wasn't connected to the fuse box so the ECU couldn't 'see' roadspeed.
    (blue/white wire to W1 on fusebox) all that happened was the car had an early hard cut rev limiter at just over 6k rpm. Once the wire was connected to fusebox the car then had a softer cut limiter at more like 6500rpm. (and you could then see road speed on vag-com etc)