vr6 noise

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by b'locks, Oct 25, 2003.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

when i change gear at high revs in my vr, the sound of the engine makes me cry [:^(]should i go and see someone?

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

a doctor? ;)

whats the noise like?

3. b'locks Forum Addict

sounds like a vr6 to me jeff, it's just so damn beautiful [:^(]

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

has yours had a new exhaust yet? I never did take you out in the rallye :(

5. b'locks Forum Addict

new exhaust and bmc induction is going on next saturday mate [:D]i think i may need counselling after hearing the noise with them on :o

yeah shame about the rallye mate, i've had the pleasure of trying to keep up with you through the twisties tho in my old 16v, that was fun!! ;) can't wait to see it go with the turbo in it and i am deffo getting a ride in it when it's done!!! [:D]

i used to love the sound of your rallye when it was idling....what bits did you have in it to produce that sound?
    Edited by: b'locks

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

its the JR induction kit (with no heat shield, need to get that sorted) but mainly its the 2.5" custom exaust with no cat and one silencer that does it. I think the rallye sounds just slightly different to a mk3 vr as well because of the custom downpipes that have been made for it (also 2.5"!) ;) They join in the wrong place I've been told, which is losing me torque, but it wont matter when the turbo goes on because they will have to be changed then [:D] plus the turbo will take over the job of producing torque, quite well I should think :p

7. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

You Can't beat the sound of a Vr at Flat chat. [:^:]

Well, actually maybe you can. That sound you get when you drop it from 3rd to 2nd as your slowing quickly to a roundabout :p

I love the VR6 engine.

8. Jeff Forum Junkie

if youre referring to mine that wouldve been me blipping it to make it go into 2nd with a dodgy syncro! :p

9. six appeal Forum Member

Oh yes, Hence the reason I've had mine so many years, I just don't think I could bare not hearing that sound when you hold it in 3rd gear all the way round on to the limiter (on a private road obviously! ;) )
    Just wait till you get that filter and exhaust you just won't be able to help yourself holding it in gear, rather than changing up at a sensible time, lol! :p
    You simply can't beat the look on peoples faces when they are made to turn around by the gorgeous noise, expecting to see some sort of exotica motor, and then double take when they see its a golf, lol! Totally addictive!

10. Mikedav Forum Member

Im told by some - including Tubthumped - that you can't hear mine....guess I need a new exhuast! As a VR6 newmbie I was quite happy with the noise though ;)

11. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Mikedav, Release the beast!!

Get a Stainless exhaust and induction kit and let the VR sing its guts out!! [}:)]
    Edited by: RallyeVR6

12. Jeff Forum Junkie

put it this way, Tris was attempting to follow me in his cabbriolet on the motorway on the saturday evening after VW Action. When we got back to the campsite, they all said they could hear me from the cabby well after I was over the horizon and out of sight! And they were doing 70-80mph in a cabby with the roof down...

I just had to boot it to get out in front of something as i joined the motorway, and, well, keep booting it [:D]

13. Mikedav Forum Member

Id love to. Do you know where I can get one for about 0.00? Coz Im broke! ;) First up for it will be wheels though I think...people still turn to hear it, so Im happy

14. b'locks Forum Addict

that'll probably be the plastic covers that they put on new car's engines these days, muting the sound out :/ can't you just sling them in the bin or something?? :p

seriously tho, an induction kit would help amplify the v6 noise more than an exhaust, i would have thought.

15. Mikedav Forum Member

Yeah, that plastic cover is pretty ugly. I thought it was gonna be a V5 style one with red wires across it but nope, just a grey block with V6 oon it....

Ive been told induction kits are pointless on otherwise stock MK4 engines because A) The stock unit does a good job and B) Aftermarket gear causes all sorts of problems with the MAF. As such a K and N paper filter is your best bet?

May be wrong though!

16. b'locks Forum Addict

hhhm well all i know is that the vr6 induction sound is supposed to be one of the nicest out there!

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

On some cars the oil used on the filters for dust retention can bugger up the hotwire in the MAF sensor :thumbd:

18. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

It's not just the residents in my village then...they seem to think oh its a nice car coming up the road and when they see its just a Vento they start shaking their fists about because the exaust makes them think i'm doing 100mph rather than 30.

Although all that noise just pails into insignificance when you park the VR next to my mates old mans V8 TVR...no that has the nicest noise!
    Edited by: Vento Mike