vr6 non-starter

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by AndrewF, Mar 28, 2005.

1. AndrewF Forum Addict

ok, just put the vr back together with its new 'box in...and it wont start (it cut out just before i took it apart so was expecting it).

previously i had plugged diagnostics in and it showed no faults....today we plugged it in and it said error when tryin to read the engine codes! now, its not vag-com, is a stand alone thing, but it worked fine on fabio's vr (and we now know exactly what his abs fault is). i do know someone with proper vag-com now so could try that....but i dont think the reader is at fault.

we tried pluggin in my spare ecu and it was the same....but the spare ecu has a slightly different part no. on it (mine ends in AF, it ends in D).

we checked the fuel pump relay (by bypassing it), as there appeared to be no voltage at the fuel pump...though not sure if we were doing it properly.

ran out of time then....but were thinking to check ecu relay next, then ig switch.

just wondering if anyone else had same thing....its the fact it aint reading the codes thats worried me.

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

have been suggested it could well be a damaged wire from ecu....anyone else concure with this?

3. jamiehol Forum Member

I would seem reasonable that it is a dodgy wire.

It would be worth re-trying to bridge the relay contacts in the fusebox for the fuel pump. As if the pump won't run like this then there is something more fundamental wrong.

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

we bridged the fuel pump relay, and the pump appeared not to be running (no voltage through cables). but, if there was a prob with the ecu connections it wouldnt anyway would it, would it?

5. jamiehol Forum Member

if you put the ignition on and bridge the terminals that the relay switches then the pump should run, all the relay is doing is switching the high current needed to run the fuel pump.

So provided you have bridged the right ones then the pump should run.

6. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

if the diagnostics wont communicate with the ECU i'd say you've lost one of the 12 volt supplies feeding the ECU

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

it doesn't [:s] whats that mean?

stands to reason. weird bit is it did read no probs (no codes) before and now shows error when it tries to check engine codes...but does show abs codes!

8. jamiehol Forum Member

Well it would suggest there is no pwer getting to it, so either a dodgy wire between the pump and the fusebox or a dead pump.

9. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

It will show the ABS codes though as the ABS controller will be powered by a seperate power feed, so do get confused by this

10. vrbanana Forum Junkie

earth fault??????

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

nope, cause i just plugged them all back in...they were previously in the wrong place (bloody garages), the main earth went to the starter bolt (the one that holds it not the solenoid) instead of to bulkhead as it should.

i know poor earth can fry ecu's, but as i said i tried the spare (known working) ecu and it was the same. so thats eliminated that really.

will go and check all the wires tomoz...spent all today phoning ins co's.

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

same cable should have two eyelets, one to the chassis leg behind the battery and one to the starter mounting bolt, how were they fitted???

13. vrbanana Forum Junkie

sorry I was wrong, on the VR the one for the engine should fit on a bell housing bolt with the extra stud on it[:$]