VR6 OBD1 no start

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by andyMk3, May 2, 2011.

1. andyMk3 Vendor

Hi guys really needing some help with my brothers VR6 which after some recent work won't start.
    Occasionallly it wll have a splutter and rev but then it dies.

I have checked the fuel pump relay (which clicks like crazy for some reason) and i ge a live at the pump for a split second and the same with coil spark. the car has no immobiliser now so to speak as we removed this and have had the car running since (it was an aftermarket system being a J reg mk3 they don't have a chip key)

So other than a goosed ECU what else could it be and how to check it really. Any help would be appreciated.
    Andy

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You need to run a diagnostic check on the ECU as a going in base.
    1992 vehicles have a data line on a 2x2 connector and VAGCOM can read the data stream.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the pump relay clicks like mad, start by replacing it. also check the ecu relay #109

4. andyMk3 Vendor

Doesn't have a 109 relay has lots of 53's which is odd. If I had VAG com that would be my first port of call. Could the crank sensor cause a similar fault?

Also to ad the rev counter jumps up when you crank the car or turn the ignition. Also the clicking noise has been there for years just thought I'd add to the detail.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not performing a scan could mean diagnosis would be slow and painful and expensive.
    I am sure someone close to you has vagcom software that can run a quick check.

6. rubjonny

you should have an ecu relay if its an older vr6, this could well be the problem. have a look at my fusebox faq this will tell you where the relay needs to go. regardless of how long the fuel pump relay has been clicking, it still shouldn't do it!

7. andyMk3 Vendor

Cheers johnny aware that the clicking isn't normal but the car has always run fine and has done recently hence the mystery. Gonna compare relays now.

8. rubjonny

the clicking may have been an indication the relay or something else was dying, now its dead. sort the dodgy clicking then work from there

9. andyMk3 Vendor

Well the 167 relay is the one that goes mad and I've replaced this as well as number 3. This has always had 30 in but in your FAQ thread it says it should be 109 surely this couldn't stop it starting. The clicking still persists after replacing them. Which plug feeds the 167 relay as I can't seem to figure that ATM.

Cheers Andy

10. rubjonny

30 relay works totally different to the 109. 30 relay sends 12v to ecu down G1/7, 109 receives an earth from the ecu via G1/7! not sure how vr6 ecu will react when it gets 12v to a wire which should be an earth on the ecu...

the 167 relay is earthed by the ecu pin 5 via pin G1/3. since you changed the relay with no improvement id say the issue is with the ecu or the trigger wire, possibly due to the incorrect ecu relay beign fitted. it may be causing the ecu to do odd things, if not internal ecu damage

11. andyMk3 Vendor

So a crank sensor fault is possible ? I've just dug a 109 out I'll try it in relay position 3 see what happens lol.

12. rubjonny

yeah could well be, but i dont think it would make the pump relay click. you never know though

13. andyMk3 Vendor

Well nothing mate. Taken some vids I'll try upload them asap. I have a a distinct feeling it's the crank sensor just wish I had a spare. Are VR6 ones unique?

14. rubjonny

it is, I think gsf do sell them but they have managed to bugger up their website so i cant get in to check. do see em on ebay as well but make sure its a quality part as i bought one from there that was broken brand new out the box

15. golf16vgti Forum Member

Yes they do. They call it Pulse Sensor, flywheel and its 32.04.

16. andyMk3 Vendor

borrowed one to try tomorow

17. andyMk3 Vendor

Still nothing :( does anyone wanna lend me vag com or tell me how to get it and the associated leads?

18. andyMk3 Vendor

Sorted! faulty connection for crank sensor just thought I'd let you all know.