vr6 oil pressure? what should it be

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by powernut, Oct 1, 2010.

1. powernut Forum Member

reason i ask i built this engine and it starts runs fine , no rattles ,smoke, or oil lights flashing etc , so today i thought ill just fit a oil pressure gauge and sender , fitted the sender in the brass t piece which the turbo feed is fitted too , as most know new crank bearings , high beam rods etc were fitted and crank.oil pump/filter fitted/ primed ,im unsure if my gauge is correct as if i start from cold i only get 50psi and when oils up to temp (goinging off the cluster display i see 85deg) no oil gauge is only showing 15psi on idiol which im worried about if i rev it to 3000rpm it raises to 25psi,

any ideas what pressure i should be seeing as im tempted to buy a new sender first before i start ripping cranks/pumps apart[:^(]as id sooner sort this before any major probs occurr , also as a small resitor fitted to turbo feed
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

i'd get a proper test guage and see what it does i don't find electrical ones very reliable i used the one off my van i use to test servo pressures on plant with :lol:

3. Lukey Forum Member

cold start i see 4-5bar (58-72psi) going down the motoroway cruise cold ill see bit more than 6bar (90psi)

hot idle is about 2bar (29psi) hot cruise will be about 3-4bar (43-58psi) flooring it round the counter hot will go above 5bar (72psi)

Stock NA engine with the sender replacing the low pressure sender on the filter housing

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  4. powernut Forum Member

im seeing nothing like that with newbearingsand oil pump?[:^(]

5. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds similar to mine.

Oil feed to turbo causes drop in pressure?

Pressure is caused by resistance to flow. Your oil is flowing round/through an extra part.