vr6 or 1.8t conversion for mk2 16v

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by mk1boy, Jul 27, 2004.

1. mk1boy Forum Member

what is the best option for power/tuning potential. what sort of cost is involved in both of these conversions?

2. dubgero New Member

for a 1.8t your looking at 4500 for 200bhp from dubsport and most of the prices ive found are roughly the same! for a VR6 your looking about 3000 for a straight swap from designadubs but if your gonna do the 1.8T its a lot more tuning potential but after hearing a friends S3 engine in a rallye and another friends rado VR6 you cant beat the VR for the noise! i think designadubs have also just brought out a turbo kit for the VR to take it up to 350ish brake but its another 3500 on top of the conversion
    hope this helps

3. alexc Forum Member

Best if you drive a couple of Mk2s with either engine and make your mind up.

4. Rups007 New Member

both are worthy conversions, but you need to look at the Audi TT 225bhp engine and drive train as a serious conversion, well worth it as this has more tuning potential than the VR6, its true the noise from the VR6 is addictive but the turbo whistle, induction roar and dump valve is even more mind blowing! along with the 4WD which means better take off and better handeling, but as has been said try both if you can and see which beast you like the best [:D]

5. cforehead Forum Member

VR with a supercharger, THE best noise in the world. Makes even the hardest tuned 20vt sound like it's not even ticking over.

The sensible money (if it's within the budget) says 20vt. But the VR has stacks more Carisma and personality by the bucketload.

And to top it off, you're putting a V6 in a mk2, which deserves repect in itself.

No prizes for guessing my choice! [:$]

Fordham

6. Guests Banned

im having the same dilema

ill just wait for the r32 with 4motion option to become cheaper :)

7. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

depends what you're gonna do with the car.

the 1.8T is best on paper for tuning potential, but surely theres a point where so much power in fwd mode is just getting silly, i'd say go with the vr as it's cheaper and with the right mods the power would be more enough for any purposes........

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think i'd go 1.8t, the engine will have less miles, parts are becoming more avaiable and conversion prices are coming down.

9. alexc Forum Member

I went for 20vT because it totally transforms the car, you won't know what I'm talking about until you drive one, but trust me you'll have a BIG smile on your face.

I've driven a modded Mk2 VR6 and an R32 and as great fun they were, they're not even in the same league.

But that's my personal opinion so no 20vT vs VR6 arguments thank you! ;)

10. waxil New Member

I've got a mk1 Cabriolet and want to put a 1.8t 20v in it, i've seen an engine & box for sale for 750... does anyone know if the engine mounts are the same? or know where there any details on the conversion on the net? pics would be nice as well as ecu stuff.

Cheers,

Chris

11. sundodger Forum Member

Depends on what you wish to achieve, or whose going to do the work for any conversions. If its a larger initial hike in power with out too many headaches the VR6 route is easier at the outset, but tuning the VR6 is expensive.
    The 1.8T route probably has more snags to initially overcome, but has far greater tuning potential.

12. alexc Forum Member

Have a word with Darren @ VW Enterprises, he's done quite a few 20vT into Mk1 conversions (including his own)! :)

13. Vento_Gareth Forum Member

Forget the VR go for the 24v either the 4 motion and run it 2wd or hold out for the R32. 20vt may be more tunable but they sound flat even tuned to 300bhp. There is nothing like the 6 cylinder noise at 7,000rpm! You may not have as much power but you will never get bored of the noise.