VR6 or MKIII 16v gearbox for 1.8T engine?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GTi_Jonny, Apr 24, 2004.

1. GTi_Jonny New Member

Hi Guys,

I originally opted for a G60 gearbox for my 1.8T engine conversion, but after many discussions I then bought the recommended MKIII 16v gearbox. I am now wondering whether a VR6 gearbox will offer better gear ratios for my 1.8T engine soon to be installed in my beloved MKII Golf. I want to achieve quick 0-60 times and long gear ratios for high speed fun track days.

What do you guys think?

cheers

GTi_Jonny

2. veedubber Forum Member

the 6 cylinder gearbox doesn't fit the 4 cylinder engines. So that rules that one out

A mk3 16valver box has the same ratios as the mk4 20vT box IIRC

A G60 box needs changing into third at around 50-60 so it hampers a quick 0-60 time, but will keep pulling to a high top end

stef

3. H8SV8S Forum Member

Mk3 16v 02A box will do about 115kmh/71mph in 2nd so is good for 0-60's, but it's terrible for good in-gear times with a 4cyl NA - should be fine behind the 1.8T, though IMO. Terrible shift action compared to a well looked after rod-box though [:^(]

4. Lee-GTi Forum Member

The gear change on my Mk3 16v box is sh1t its the worst gear change i've ever had and there's no worn parts, its the throw its SO LONG i've had to move my seat forward to i can change into 3/5th MAD..
    BUT on the other hand it is a spot on gear box of the 1.8t engine, well over 60mph in 2nd and 110mph in 3rd i'm sure it would pull more but its only been on the road 3 days and has not been tuned yet.. running 5psi of boost and its faster then a VR6 already!!!! :lol:

5. H8SV8S Forum Member

Agreed!! It's the worst gearbox I've ever used aswell (bar a couple of Holdens, but they're in their own league in the sh1tness stakes). The throw is shorter in most buses. There's probably a second in the 1st to 2nd gear change in the VAG 0-60 stats :lol:

6. Lee-GTi Forum Member

WOW are the holdens that good? DOW should of used there gear box!! ;)
    What are the B&M short shifts like!?? i was going to try and find one at inter's! [:s]

7. vw.man Forum Member

Some strange figures in this thread. The O2A fitted to the Mk3 16V had the following ratios:

1st 3.3, 2nd 1.944, 3rd 1.308, 4th 1.029, 5th 0.837. With the standard final drive of 3.67, this would give speed in gears (on 215/40 16 tyres) at 6000rpm of 34mph, 57, 85, 108 and 133.

VW claimed max bhp was at 6000rpm which is why I have shown speeds for this rpm. Obviously the ABF revs easily to 7k and that gives 39mph, 67, 99, 126, 155. The ratios are indeed way too long for the ABF (even longer on the VR6?) but I would have thought OK with the torque of a 1.8T.

Re the inter-county shift throw, I have a B&M short shift on mine which improves things no end - the downside is that it is obviously a lot heavier. Still not a patch on a good rod-change box.

Cheers

Martyn

8. Lee-GTi Forum Member

So at 6000rmp its doing 67mph so been as my 20vt is reving at 7900rmp so really it should be nicly over 70mph then?

9. seth223uk Forum Member

what about a leon or ibiza cupra gearbox? A 6 speed? Are there any other boxes that will fit that are any good? I was told the leon one would fit.

10. GTi_Jonny New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the invaluable information. If veedubber is correct and the G60 gearbox pulls from third gear well, can I change gear ratios and gain better results or perhaps swap parts between the MKIII box with G60 and VR6?

Jonny

11. baxter basics Forum Member

[/QUOTE]

Agreed!! It's the worst gearbox I've ever used aswell (bar a couple of Holdens, but they're in their own league in the sh1tness stakes). The throw is shorter in most buses. There's probably a second in the 1st to 2nd gear change in the VAG 0-60 stats :lol: [/QUOTE]

Can you swap in the linkage from a routemaster then? :lol:

But seriously, anyone heard of any aftermarket kits for improving the cable-shift?

12. Atlas 12v Forum Member

I have seen a MK3 1.8T conv using a 16V Corrado Box...

13. prof Forum Addict

i have the 02m 6 speed and on 15"s it works out a bit low for a turbo[160mph top end tho], spot on for an NA lump tho