VR6 or V6 24v

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by olliemk2, Jul 18, 2008.

1. olliemk2 Forum Member

Hi guys, am definitely having an engine conversion done in a couple of months.
    I don't want a 1.8T, I love the sound of the VR6, I need that it my life.

Basically the company who's doing it for me has suggested going down the 24v route instead, more power as standard and it'l be easier to find an engine that dosen't need rebuilding.

However it will work out in the end to be roughly 1000 more expensive.

My question to you lads is, what are the performance benefits of having the newer 24v engine?

And also with the VR6 conversion being substantially cheaper I can afford it sooner, which I like. ( im an impatient bugger!) Or should I wait another month or two and get the 24v?

All opinions/suggestions welcome.

Ollie

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

or buy the engine and learn how to do it yourself?

id be tempted with 24v because of the uniqueness, vr6 mk2 isnt exactly new.

any idea what management it would use?

208bhp from the off basically

3. olliemk2 Forum Member

I know what you mean matt but i'm useless mate, I know I'll never know unless I try but I can't be bothered! Much rather pay someone to do it and read peoples build threads instead!

Your right thought the VR6 mk2 isnt new but i'm mot looking for kudos or scene points as im sure you're not either. ;)

Not sure bout the management tbh, leaving it to PSI. Waiting for an in depth quote as we speak.

My real gripe is the sound, I love the howl of the VR6, but have been told that with a good exhaust and a decat the 24v sound is as good maybe better.

Im leaning towards the VR6 I think. But I'm not 100% :lol:

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

go and buy a donor mk3 vr6 and do it yourself! Can pick up decent ones for circa 1k

I did a 16v conversion into my mk1, not exactly rocket science but had a great sense of achievement when I fired it up and "nothing". A few wires later and it was running sweet!!!

5. olliemk2 Forum Member

Not got the time or the skill or the patience mate! Honestly! ;) :lol:

6. prof Forum Addict

could be done, but you'd need a 12v vr6 gearbox and flywheel. Some mates of Daz & Phat vr6 can do you a loom to run the 24v on its original management and plug straight into your fusebox. not too sure on exhaust gremlins but phatty will know

are they saying that the 24v would cost 1k more to buy?

7. James_mk2 Forum Member

how much is a turbo or supercharger kit from the states these days? i'd go for VR and then a few months down the line charge it, that way you get a new engine in nice and quickly, and then oodles of extra power when you upgrade it!

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

presumably the 24v is going to be newer/less miles hence more expensive so could be worth the extra expense... plus if you did ever get to turbo or SC it the gains would be higher i assume??

9. kerrly Forum Member

you dont have the time skill or patience - ur need a lotof

out of interest how much would a firm charge to put a 24v VR into a mk2. Are they going to put a 24V into your mk2 and leave it at that.

i expect it to be and like others have said you can buy an entire VR6 in a car for 1-1.5K . If you really wanted and this is what im considering is buy a mk3 VR see how much you like it if you dont strip it and chuck engine and everything else into the mk2 and sell the rest off the remaining mk3 parts off and pay for the conversion , im sure PSI would be happier doing a conversion with a whole donor availble anyway.

10. olliemk2 Forum Member

Thats what I thought mate, it's just another couple of months of saving up and it would be possible to go the 24v route mate. A quick look on youtube andI seen and heard a 24v with a supersprint exhaust.... sounded fantastic. Shouldn't need a rebuild anytime soon either in theory due to the age/mileage like you say, might be more reliable too?

11. olliemk2 Forum Member

Know what your saying mate but Im not up for p**sing about breaking a car. And im sure PSI are more than capable of sourcing whatever is required to do the work without a donor car in their yard. I dont want a mk3 as a car, I want my mk2 mate.

As for the price, you'd have to ask them as each quote is tailored specifically to your car/specification but I was pleasantly surprised on both quotes.

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

how much? c'mon tell us, we won't laugh :lol:

13. olliemk2 Forum Member

The extra money wouldnt just be going on purchasing the 24v lump mate, its presumably a more complicated job. And I'm guessing they can drop a VR in a mk2 in their sleep by now the amount they have done, so can do it cheaper. But the 24v is more expensive to source obviously being newer, less mileage etc,

Thanks for your input fellas.

14. olliemk2 Forum Member

I really rather not discuss figures, but its alot cheaper than you'd think.
    Compared to companies quoting 4995 for a 1.8T conversion (which I think is extortionate) it is peanuts mate, pm me for details, dunno why but dont want to get into figures for all to see. Im only after advice on which might be the more suitable engine pal.
    [:D]

15. olliemk2 Forum Member

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?
    Has anyone got a 24V in a mk2? I know lots of lads have mk2 VR6's and think they are amazing! Just never come across anyone who has a 24V mk2....

Ollie

16. craggsy Forum Member

Andy947 has a 24v in his mk2

17. olliemk2 Forum Member

Nice one mate, does he rate it?

18. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Go for the VR lump and a turbo or supercharger at a later date...take a look at the 500bhp renner mk2 vr6t vids on youtube. That said, if you don't have the time//ability to rebuild a lot of the engine (most vr lumps are getting tired now...timing chains/head gasket, etc ideally replaced before a swap), a newer and lower mileage 24v lump offers some benefits, as you could likely bolt it straight up without issues. I'm considering an R32 swap, mostly because I fancy a completely new and more challenging project, but the VR still makes me grin every time i drive it[8D]

19. Matt G Forum Member

dont think he has it working yet!

i would go for the 24v option as in my simple logic i guess it would have more potential if you go for further tuning.

20. olliemk2 Forum Member

Thanks for that mate, good to hear from lads who have got one of the engines in their car.
    Stupid questionbut what sort of 0-60 you getting from yours mate? Its by no means important but I'm curious! [:D]