VR6 timing chain and head gasket

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Dan W, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

'97 Golf VR6,
    What ball park cost should a timing chain and head gasket replacement be in parts and roughly how long to do them both? got one to do soon and want to let the guy know a rough price and how much time I should be giving myself, cheers all!

Edit:
    just thought, this should really be in the technical section I suppose, i'm sure the mods will move it if need be ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. craggsy Forum Member

Well garages start from about 600 all in?
    Have you done one before?

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

No not done one before, any do's and dont's or things to make it easier?

4. craggsy Forum Member

Take your time and make sure you get timing lined up BEFORE you start taking it to bits.
    Other than that fairly straight forward really. Might as well sling a new clutch on as it will need to come off anyway, dont forget the oil seal down there to change.
    Just be methodical doing it.

Be careful of the HG when you take upper and lower covers off as it will be left hanging out and loose.

Hardest job really is getting gearbox off without rounding bolts off in driveshafts.

Oh and its easier if you can take engine out, more for ease of access and better lighting. But very doable with engine in situ