Vr6 turbo with o2m diesel gearbox

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by jonnypmk2, Aug 19, 2015.

1. jonnypmk2 New Member

Hi guys im building a mk2 golf vr6 turbo, im planning on using an o2m gearbox from a pd130 bora is this a good box to use or not for a vr6t? I have the bora at my work so ive everything i need for the conversion cheers jonny

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What is the reason behind that choice?

Do you know the gearbox code?

3. jonnypmk2 New Member

Not sure of the code on the box, i know the boxes are strong but thats why am asking is it a good box for a vr6t or are the ratios all wrong for it? Its not costing me anything to do it cause its my bora that im breaking & just wondered is it possible to use it?

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Without knowing the ratios it could be either great or rubbish.
    Personally, I don't find them an overly nice box to use and they are super heavy. You'll need custom mounts too for an 02m.

5. 16vt Forum Member

What is the power you are shooting for? The 02m is bit heavier around 13kg but its stronger than the 02a. The other thing is you cant use the pd130 box as is due to the difference in bellhousing pattern of the vr6. You will need a v6 or r32 box if you wanted to swap ratios.
    Most of the tdi have longer ratios than the v6 or the r32 therefore if you are above certain power you can make use of the longer gears.

6. jonnypmk2 New Member

I was aiming for 350 - 400, i have my own ccm vr6 box but dont have the inner flanges for the box cant get them anywhere over in northern ireland, do you no where i could get them?

7. Toyotec

350bhp@6500rpm in a VR6T equates to 380lbft at 4-5k rpm from what I have tested.
    The VR box FDR is already tall at 3.39:1 and with power and torque like that your would soon hit 160+ mph

8. benthejettaman Forum Member

on this subject does anyone know what box is in the sharan 24v?

9. Toyotec

FVB is the code.

10. dubspy Forum Member

I looked in to all these options and taking on everyone's advice. I decided to keep my O2A box and run a tdi 5th along with a diff/lsd. As the O2m was just a lot of work as you needed custom mounts and shafts if i researched correctly?

I have had issues before with custom shafts etc so really wanted to keep my stock ones.