Vr6 vs civic type R

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by vinnietheradoboi, Jun 18, 2012.

1. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

How should my golf vr6 with air filter mod do against a standard type R in a straight line!?

2. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Dunno....... never been in your vr
    My mk3 vr has never been shown up by one

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

If the type r driver was using the car to its full potential I think it would be bye bye VR6, when used properly type r's are pretty nippy.

4. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

Wat has ur vr had done to it taks??

5. G40

G40 Forum Member

Sorry I know we all love VW's but you will get dusted, 0 - 60's are 7.4 vs 6.4 seconds, add a few corners into the equation and you won't see which way he goes :(

6. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

But in fairness them times are computer generated, not in the real world, perfect gear changes, passenger ect ect

7. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

I don't have any friends with a type r so I cant always account for how the other person is driving
    I do have a friend with with a 2009 530d and I can do that up to 100, repeated it multiple times- rolling starts and from standstill.

And in regards to the bends, how about putting a motorway and slip road in the way...... pulls well up to and past an indicated 150mph (before you start saying that's rubbish it has been witnessed by some of the esteemed members of this forum)
    My car has nothing done except the fact it is a 1998 and has just come up to 70k with full VAG service history (good state of tune).

8. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

Yeaaa....... Mines got double that mileage lol, still got full Vw s/h tho! To be honest I chased a friend of mine who has a type and and I was with him until about mid 4th gear then he started pull on me and considering that's where all their "power" is, I didn't think it's was a bad effort considering I had a passenger too

9. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

race one and find out ?

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I actually think this would be quite close. Given that a good late vr6 can make in the region of 180-190bhp and a curb weight of 1180kgs, this would give it in the region of 152-161bhp per ton. The civic type r ep3? Is around 158bhp per ton.

I have not doubt the type r can out handle the vr6 but that's not what I'm looking at here.

Ps weight could be out depending on spec I guess so don't take it as gospel.

Gurds

11. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I've not been impressed with anything other than the noise from any VRs I've encountered - the one I test drove was woeful and much slower than my tuned 16v and the one I reeled in the other day on the A41 near Tring in Herts wasn't very impressive either, my 16v had the legs on it. It was a dragon green VR with owners club stickers on it, lowered and nice looking, so quite well cared for - it just couldnt pull away and at higher speeds I reeled it in and had to take my foot off the throttle to avoid a rear end collision! (and yes, he was 100% trying..)

12. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Its not really as simple as power to weight, type r has 6 speed short ratio box and makes decent torque all the way to 8000rpm, VR6 has lorry gears in standard form, could easily say that cams, remap, V5 box and the VR6 would be right up there but do similar work to the civic and the gap just got bigger. My best mate has a type r and Iv ran against it up to 130mph (local runway) 100's of times in so many different cars, however quick I thought my cars where the civic always amazes me.

13. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

1180kg would be the 5door spec, even less for 3door :)

It's all down to the gearing in this example. Standard VR6 would beat a chipped 16v if they had same gear ratios & final drive, but as the poor ol' VR comes with long leg / grand tourer type gearing... 16v is usually FTW

Both Civic Type-R UK version & Mk3 VR6 are fairly tame in standard form. For me, the Type-R is the more focused vehicle & more fun as a result.

14. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

There is 16 years between the two vehicles!!

15. James_mk2 Forum Member

Standard Type R (EP3) is ~165bhp/ton (more if a non-aircon model), also bear in mind that it's 0-60 time of ~6 1/2 seconds includes a change into 3rd gear and it's this short gearing that really helps it along. It won't embarass a VR6 by any means (you'd need a big power differential to do that on the road) but it wouldn't have much trouble pulling and maintaining a small lead.

I've always been pleasantly surprised by the pace of mine, it's no rocket ship but even after returning it to stock power (from ~240bhp) it still goes well, and it's cracking fun to drive. Might even go as far as to say more fun than my 2.0 16v Mk2 *runs for cover*

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  16. locosaki New Member

I've had both and the VR6 (it was in a MK2 as well) was **** poor next to the Vtec. VR6 was all noise for me and over the quarter was a good bit away from even being close.

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Really [:s] My mk2 vr6 with a bit of weight removed used to have no problems pulling a lead on CTR's and S2000's on straight roads. But at the same time the last mk3 vr6 that tried it on with my Mk2 I also pulled a lead on them at a similar rate, so I'd go as far as saying they'd be fairly even.

18. mexicorich Forum Member

VR6s are sad excuse for a 3 litre v6 - I'm ready for the hate mail!!!! lol

19. G-Man Forum Junkie

Don't forget the Civic Type R has less torque at 145lb/ft compared to around 170lb/ft of the VR6, which will be one thing in your favour.

One thing I found was that you don't get much more taking the engine beyond 6,000 rpm, in fact at a clubgti dyno day my peak power was actually at 5,600rpm.

20. tones61

tones61 Forum Member