Vredestein tyres - any good?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Racing Teatray, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Racing Teatray Forum Member

I need to replace all 4 tyres on my quattro and the garage have suggested Vredestein tyres (sportracs I think) as a cheaper alternative to getting another set of Pirellis.

I know nothing about this brand other than that I have heard of them before - are they any good??

Anything else I should try? Just that 4 new 225/45 R17" tyres is a big wallet ache and I'd like to save as much as possible.

Cheers

2. S1MMA Forum Member

try
    www.topgear.co.uk
    and have a look at some quotes for tyres. think you can get eagle F1's for 100 each. Other place is F1 Autocentres, which I got my 215/40/16 Eagle F1's for 60 each supply only.

How much are they quoting the Vredesteins? For a budget tyre, I would consider a Falken:

Falken 225/45ZR17 ZE512 91W83.75

on top gear.

Dont know much about Vredesteins, but don't trust a garage, they'd probably want to sell u the tyre that either makes them the most money, or the one they plug/stock. You can save money with cheap tyres, but it can backfire when you need the grip in an emergency. I bet your insurance excess is more than the difference in tyre costs. Just another way to look at it. Try
    http://www.tyres-online.co.uk
    for independant reviews and info on loads of tyres.
    Edited by: S1MMA

3. Rahul Forum Junkie

well,
    i was reading in one of the car magazines(may have been autocar) which was in my dentists waiting room and Vredestein did pretty well in their test.

The thing with tyres is they are what keep you on the road....its hard to take all garages say seriously when they rate their budget tyres over top class tyres as we all know how they sometimes like to sell their product at all costs.

If you want a decent budget tyre, go for marshalls. I have them on my beemer 225 45 17's and they were about 60 quid a corner. ut it this way, trying to lose the back end round roundabouts has become so much harder since changing the tyres. Previous tyres were conti sports.

hope this helps.

best places to look are mytyres

or

black circles
    Edited by: CabrioRags

4. Racing Teatray Forum Member

Cheers for the advice guys.

This is actually my local village garage so they are pretty trustworthy. The owner lives a couple of doors away and also races cars and bikes so is a pretty knowledgeable. He gets the tyres from a supplier so I guess the supplier is trying to push Vredestein at the moment. I like having them change the tyres because they take the time to do it carefully without damaging the alloys unlike most of these Kwikfit type places.

The Vredesteins are 83+VAT fitted each whereas Pirelli P6000s (which is what it currently has) are 98+VAT fitted each. I just wondered if that was competitive or whether I could get them usefully cheaper elsewhere.

5. g60 pb Forum Member

The Vredestein Sportracs are good tyres, i used to have them on a set of 16's that I had coz my gf's dad gets them cheap as he orders them with his agricultral tyres :). They were pretty good though and I know they've had good reviews. I have Goodyear F1 GSD3's now which are very good,i've moved jobs which means we are friendly with the local tyre supplier so i get good prices on whichever tyres i want hence why i've got the Goodyear's :)

6. S1MMA Forum Member

if you can get the Eagle F1's for 100 each supplied, ask your local tyre place to fit them for 20 or so, and it's only cost you about 30 more for eagle F1's! They are the best performing performance tyre on the market, and aren't that expensive. You know it makes sense!

7. Racing Teatray Forum Member

Ok that's sound like a vote in favour of the Goodyears. I used to have of Eagles on my old Mk2 and it must be said they were pretty damn good.

I'll ask the garage to get a price on them as their prices seem competitive with these mytyres/tyresonline type places.

On the other hand might just sacrifice the style for a while and get some winter tyres put on my spare 16"s now. Toyo do a tyre called a Snowprox which seems pretty reasonable @ 60 a pop.

8. Rahul Forum Junkie

in your opinion, of course! ;)
    Edited by: CabrioRags

9. S1MMA Forum Member

No, not in my opinion.

In Evo/Auto Express/and Germany's Sport Auto magazine's opinion actually, which have done some in depth testing of many high performance tyres. What do I/you/anyone know compared to them???

Some things can be tested by the general public (us), some things can't. Tyres are very subjectively rated by the public, it's difficult to actually test them (objectively) without complex equipment and test tracks (which the mags have).

10. jc.. Forum Member

11. jc.. Forum Member

12. prof Forum Addict

eagle F1s great road tyres, best wet weather performance going