vvt attack

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by jamesemmison, Jul 17, 2013.

1. jamesemmison Forum Member

Has anyone got this done as I have got mine booked in to have the remap done on Friday. Just wondered what anyone thought about it. :thumbup:

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

may be worth doing a search on the r32oc vvt attack got a lot of bad press last year with cars having less or the same power as they started with

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You may find the "cam track" that is developed at VW with 100s of hours in an engine cell is very good on these engines.
    24v VRs have very little tweaking to do on the cams, perhaps a tad bit intake advance at post 4500rpm and some blending to suit the pulse energy change when the intake manifold flap switches and changes length to the high speed settings.

4. jamesemmison Forum Member

Couldn't make it there on Friday. Going next Saturday instead.

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Will Be interested to see the rolling road plots for this as they claim so much
    I have rr plots for my 4motion with a custom code done before I got it
    They look like someone having a hart attack not sure if the haldex or what sure Eddie would have good laugh at them
    mines was the early aue engine with simple vvt
    Would be interesting to see the difference between the two engines

6. jamesemmison Forum Member

Will let you know how it goes when I have had it done.

7. jamesemmison Forum Member

Had it done on Saturday. Didn't get it on a rolling road but could tell there is a difference straight away. The car seems to have a lot more pick up than it did before. Will get it on a rolling road soon to see what it is putting out. So far it seems to be quicker than it was before so all good. :thumbup:

8. oburT6RV Forum Member

Did your MK4 have the 6463 update prior to this? *Any* remap makes the engine livelier than <6463 [:D]

Do let us know the dyno results!

There definitely is some tuning potential with the R32's VVT, but only really worthwhile with 264 or 268 cams. I've seen the R32's standard VVT maps and I can't see an extra 40lbft of adjustment in there.

I did a lot of VVT tuning with my standalone and the difference between no intake VVT and + 43 deg (the maximum VW advance it, but capable of 52 deg) is approx. 40-50lbft, if the mixture and timing are optimal. The difference between 43 deg and 52 deg is negligible. In fact it actually reduces the torque at certain rpms.