VW Cup Car - Mk1 GTI - Barn Find

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Ecurie Ecosse, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

Well, sort of, as we knew it was in the barn.

I was round seeing my friend Donald, who raced in the VW Cup in 2000 - 2002.

His Golf was damaged at Silverstone, but he still has it in a barn. It also won the Scottish Saloon Car Championship. My friend Matt also had the privilege of driving it in anger on the circuit.

It was mentioned in this thread:

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...-p17-18-amp-20-Retro-Rides-report-p22!/page16

Here it is in its prime:

[​IMG]

It used a 2.0 cross flow unit with throttle bodies which put out 197bhp. It also had Volvo 240 brakes.

And here it is now (rubbish pic!)

[​IMG]

There are various other goodies there, like a Mk1 with 78k miles, a Sirocco pick up truck:

[​IMG]

and a Morris Minor.

[​IMG]

It will be resurrected at some point, but first Matt and I need to finish my Mk2 16v project (thread here http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?239819-Mk2-GTI-16v-Oak-Green-Project&), and then Matt will be getting his Morris Minor back on the road.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. Admin Guest

i'd love to see the rocco pick up truck

That golf is going to need a good hosing!

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice guano collection on that golf [:D]

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Its gonna need more than a hosing, probably something more severe, like the roof cutting off and replacing! ;)

Hate to imagine whats managed to get in through the open window.

Bit of a shame really.

5. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

It'll scrub up fine :)

The Mk1 is just a shell now, and all of the bits are in a Mk2 race car, pics to follow.

Here are some old pics of the Scirocco pick up. We are going to re- commission it for some hot hatch days at Knockhill. Should be fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. murph81 Forum Member

Did you dig the Mk1 out yet?

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

it's some find, brillant to see the rocco. I like it!

bit of T-cut will bring them up nice

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I googled Donald Dewar VW Racing and found this.

http://www.vw-cup.co.uk/archive01/2001results.htm

Looks like he was having a lot of reliability issues with it. Highly stressed race car, or just bad luck?

Great to see Knockhill in the pics - takes me back a few years - first ever race circuit I drove round ... unusual to see it in sunshine though!

I'm also wondering if John Irvine in the Scirocco GTI is the same car that used to run in the Tricentrol Saloons.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  9. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

Cheers!

I understand that the reliability (or lack of) was down to trying a lot of new things and getting almost 200bhp from a 8v is going to be classed as stressed in my book.

Yes it was the same John Irvine (brother of Hamish Irvine ex BTCC driver) and he still has his mk2 Scirocco GTI in a barn in Edinburgh.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

200bhp from an 8v is possible now, but must have been tricky back then. Modern aftermarket management makes a big difference.

Well if the ex BTCC/Tricentrol Scirocco ever comes up for sale, let me know ;)

Probably has an Ally cage unless it's been redone, so might not be eligible for competition now. Razzer had its sister car for a while.

11. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

Small world! I will be back out at the barn soon and will check out the cage.

12. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Hi Mike yes we were running a DTA system and providing fuel via jenvey throttle bodies. But you need to remember this was all done back in the day before the www. was about like today and we had to learn the hard way how to get big power from a 8v and it was running silly high CR.

I still have the old laptop with the programs and maps for this motor. Which is now sat in a mk2.

I think John is very attached to his wee Scirocco.

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I could understand why he might be attached to a car like that - does he use it at all? Any recent pics?

14. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I seam to recall that John did one season of the VW Cup after we had stopped then he too called it a day was getting very expensive to run in this championship.

I will get some photos when I am next out by his way, but as I say it has not seen the light of day for a long time. I think he was running basicaly a 1600cc fomula motor with some very trick mechanical fuel injection.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Supervee engine with Lucas Mechanical injection? That's what I heard was in the John Morris Mk1 Golf.

16. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

That is just the set up that was in the Scirocco. It is a shame as he had spent a large amount on it with some big AP 6pot brakes etc.

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd be in the market for one of those engines if he has a spare... not in a rush, but on the lookout

18. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

[​IMG]

found a "action" shot of the mk1 before it got bent.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  19. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Same mate has found these two old shots,
    [​IMG]

Including one of the old battle bus, this too had been "re-worked" and was way quicker than it's looks or age suggested.
    [​IMG]

The old camper has gone now but there is a new merc sprinter in the wings just not quite the same standing headroom in it.