vw golf cabby mk3

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by ickle, Mar 25, 2004.

1. ickle Forum Member

hi all i am new to the vdub world and i am thinkin about getting a mk3 cabriolet anybody got any advice for these ie what i should be looking for etc etc

cheers in advance

stuarty

2. ickle Forum Member

i am going to look at a 97 2.0 avantegarde in dark blue 60k full vwsh leather and standard what sort o price should i look to pay if this is a minter

cheers stuarty

3. MK2. Forum Member

Hello,
    A few things to look out for when looking at a MK3:

Check round all the seals, windows, sills tailgate, inside door shuts for rust.

Check that the roof sits properly, look for signs of leaks, like discolouration on the inside roof lining, white water marks and again rust.

Check that the doors sit correctly, they are heavy and can sag, this is particularly apparent on a cab at motorway speeds because you will get excessive wind noise creeping in through the gaps.

When you turn the key the abs and airbag (if there is one) warning lights should come on for a couple of secs then go out. If they dont go out it could mean problems. If they dont come on at all, they have probably been removed because there are problems.

Check that all the electrics work.

Check to see that there is no oil contamination in the expansion tank.

If it has aircon make sure that it works and that there is no dodgy bearing rattle/screach when it is switched on (expensive to sort out if its knackered).

Check for crunchy grindy gear changes, could be something simple like oil or linkage bushes, but could also indicate more serious problems (can be a good bargaining point).

If central locking is slow/noisy it could mean the pump is on its way out, new ones cost a fortune.
    Check the functions of the onboard computer are all working.

You will probably be looking at a car with a fair few miles on the clock so Its good to get one which has had the cambelt done.

Try and get one with FSH and have a good look through to see what has/hasnt been done. Can be a good bargaining point if you identify things that might need doing in the near future.

As for price I have no idea, have a look through on the autotrader site and see what the going rate is.

4. ickle Forum Member

k cheers for the pointers that is superb .

stuarty