VW GOLF R32 vs GTI MK5

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Sir Studly, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Sir Studly New Member

I'm looking at buying one of these, and I know this is clubgti so I figured you guys have the best advice [:D]

Pros and cons of both would be great

2. bigeyd Forum Member

mk5 r32?

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Nah I think hes trying to compare the MK4 R32 to the MK5 GTI.

MK4 have the most power of course....

It depends how you want to compare them. Looks....Technology....Speed...???

I can see this being a 1 sided contest though as no one likes the MK4 R32 here...

4. aimee

aimee Forum Member

[:s]
    I love the mk4 R32, and am not a big fan of the mk5.

I would much prefer the mk4 r32, it looks so much better than the mk5, and will have more power than the gti.

If its a question of mk5 r32 vs. mk5 gti, i would choose the r32 just cus its got more power, but personally, would still prefer the mk4 version.

5. beetie

beetie Forum Member

r32 pros- more powerful, torque, great engine (reliable) 4WD, more standard kit, more exclusivity
    cons- expensive in everyway (fuel, insurance, upgrades), harder to tune, v.slighly shallower boot due to 4WD

gti pros- easier to tune (big power), great engine(reliable), cheaper to run than r32, cheaper to buy, looks just as good, more aftermarket stuff available
    cons- more common, extra kit cost more (that might be standard on r32)

probably alot more than these aswell

6. Seraph Banned

have thought so

mk5r32 v mk5gti is a nonsensical comparison - they're cars from completely different sectors imo.

7. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

the mk4 r32 is a superb car. i cant understand why anyone wouldnt like this car. presuming its a comparison between a mk4 r32 and a mk5 gti, would have to be the gti purely for tuning potential and running costs. although the mk4 r32 does look alot nicer....than pretty much any other car on the road. if however its the mk5 r32, its proberbly one of the ugliest cars on the road.

8. aimee

aimee Forum Member

totally agree with you on that! the gti is styled far better, and thats not majorly brilliant! and the exhausts on the r32 remind me of a clio!

9. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

totally, the r32 mk5 looks like its been thrown together at the last minute with no thought about style at all. those alloys, the chrome grill, the stupid tailpipes..... [xx(]
    of course its a great car to drive, just wish they had put a bit more thought into the styling side.
    the impression i always get from mk5 styling is that they made it VERY conservative and well, boring so they wouldnt need to do much to the GTI to make it stand out.

10. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I love them both. I dont even mind the MK5 R32!

I was just saying what everyone else would say. I like it myself![:D]

11. leeroy8v Forum Member

i like the r 32 mk4 loooootttttss but got a quote for insurance on 1 im 26 wid 4yrs ncb the cheapest i found so far was 10grand veryvery nasty im gutted lol

12. Golfgirl Forum Member

10 grand?!! When I bought mine I was 25 with 7 years NCB and only paid 600!

I'll add to this post with my thoughts on the original question in a bit after I've had my tea....

Right....

I bought my R32 in 2004 before the Mk 5 GTI was out. When it was launched I had a test drive in one.....and still have my R32!

It depends what you want from the car really. The best all-rounder is the GTI because it's practical, fairly quick, has good tuning potential and is cheaper to run/maintain. You also have the added bonus of them still being under warranty (depending on how old it is) - Mk 4 R32's are no longer under warranty.

The R32 is quicker, has 4WD and is generally more raw in performance and handling. The ride is firm but not harsh. The GTI has the softer ride which may be an advantage if you have a family?

The R32 looks better IMO and is more exclusive as there are less of them around. I bought mine with the intention of not modifying it because it was quick enough and looked the part straight out of the factory. However, I think I lasted about 5 months before I took a trip to AMD and it's progressed since then!

If you're planning on tuning the car then the 4WD on the R32 will be better than the FWD on the GTI, depending on how far you want to go with it.

They each have positives and negatives but for an all-rounder with decent performance I'd go for the GTI. For even more performance and better handling/brakes/noise then go for the R32 unless you want to splash out improving the GTI.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  13. leeroy8v Forum Member

ye performance direct i did only do 1 search and havent phoned my insurance comp that seem to be well cheap so im hoping there maybe some hope :lol: well maybe

14. Sir Studly New Member

Thanks for the info guys, I just went out autocrossing today in my Audi Avant 1.8T (suspension, swaybar, intake, exhaust, chip, wheels and tires) and I checked out some of the gti's there. I'm really thinking about going with a 2005 Mk4 GTI now, the torque is phenomenal and after they've been chipped they're damn fast! We had a guy from one of the local shops driving one with a carbon hood and tires and stock everything else and he blew away most of the competition. It's a great tuner car and it'll be fun to fix up and work on when I go to college. Also, I live in Utah, and at higher altitudes the turbo in the GTI is faster than the R32's V6.