Vw mk 1 golf 1.8 Gti Warm up valve only getting 9 to 10 volts WUR

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Bensheppard, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Bensheppard New Member

Hi I'm new this forum this is my first post so hi to everybody The wur on my mk1 golf 1.8 Gti is only getting about 9 to 10 volts but in the Haynes manual is says it should be 11. Volts and higher if this has happened to anyone could they point me in the right direction of what to do or if this has been posted before I could have the link to page.
    Thanks
    Ben

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Welcome Ben ... not able to confirm I`m afraid, someone else will be along I`m sure.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Most test meters have a 0-10A range unfused. If it were me I would be trying to measure the DC current. This causes the volt drop. A weak battery can also give similar symptoms, as the batteries ability to deliver current (power) is influenced by its own internal resistance, a symptom which gets higher as the battery fails.
    If that makes any sense.
    Try measuring again with a battery connected to a charger
    Jon

4. Bensheppard New Member

Hi jamesa and Jon I have a multi meter that has got a fuse in the multi meter is not a cheap multi meter. I have just bough a new battery for my golf because I though that could be the problem does the wur have a filter that could get blocked and that could be my problem. But will it still run with not the correct volts and if I test the connection on the red/white and brown wires while cracking over the starter what reading should I get on the DC setting.
    Thanks Ben

5. Bensheppard New Member

Hi Jamesa And Jon thanks for the reply. I have a multimeter that is fused it is not a cheap multimeter. I though it could be the battery so I bought a new battery and still the same reading. So if I test the wur connectors red/white & brown while cranking the starter over what reading should I get on the DC volts settings. Does the wur have a gauze filter that could be blocked this car has been sat for 10 years.
    Thanks Ben

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check between the red/white wire and the battery -ve, if its much better the brown earth wire is poor. if not its the power feed, note its fed from the fuel pump relay so i guess if the pump is drawing too much power it could cause this?

the plug is only for the WUR heater so i dont think it will actually make that much difference as the engine will also be heating it up