want 2 buy a mk4 gti

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by shaz23, Sep 21, 2007.

1. shaz23 New Member

hey guys sup

heres the deal, im plannin on gettin a mk4 golf

but im kinda a VW newbie so i needed some questions answered, hopefully someone here got them 4 me

so heres the deal, i wanna get a gti mk4
    2 my knowledge so far, the gtis come in 2 1.8T engine, 1 with 150hp n the other with 180hp.....n i think the ones with the 180hp r trimmed with GLS, correct???

so i wanna get the 180hp 1, but heres the confusion, i dont know if i should get a 1.8T or a vr6

again 2 my knowledge the vr6 12v pushes about 174hp, n the 24v just over 200hp, right???

nnnnnn the 24v model came in after 2002 right???

sooooooooo the main question is, whats better to get, the 1.8T (180hp) or the vr6 12v (174hp)

i noticed that the vr6's r cheaper in price, nnnnnnn since they r 6 cylinders, they will consume more gas

but regading the speed, r the 1.8T's faster than the 12v vr6's?????

cuz if it is better to get a vr6 then i might as well get 1, cuz they r cheaper, n they come with better colors...........

soooooo can some1 throw some pros n cons about the 2 diff models, n some comments n suggestions plzzzzzzzzzzz.......... nnnnn plus im planing on doin work on it 2 , so which model is better 2 have to work on (engine n body)...

n speaking of colors, what r the stock paints that the mk4 comes in, i realy wanted a white 1 but i dont think the mk4 gti came in that color did ite???

wellll thats all 4 now,,,,,, holla back
    thx
    God Bless!!

2. shaz23 New Member

by the way the 24v vr6 is out of the question cuz thats out of my price range :(
    ----- but if i had the money i'd luv 2 get 1

3. Seraph Banned

The 180hp petrol mk4 isn't badged GLS here, but might be where ever you are, assuming States?

The mk4 also only came in 24v 6cyl @ 204hp.

Which is better is of great debate, raising the perennial topic of turbo V capacity. But there won't be a huge margin in the fuel consumption.

The mk4 was also available in white.

Have you considered a diesel!?

4. shaz23 New Member

yaaa im from Canada, so we basically get the same cars as USA.

okkkkkk soo the vr6 is non-turbo stock right???

so if i got one n looked in2 turbocharging 1, would that b a hassle or pretty ez 2 come accross.........

but i cant afford the 24v one anyways, so if i do get the vr6 i have to get the 12v one (i dont know if those only sold in the states or not)

so which 1 would be better = 1.8T (180hp) or vr6 12v (176hp)

nnnnnnn about deisil, i dont no, they r not 2 big here....... tho it wil lb cheaper on gas, n deisel do put out more torque right?????? but i dont no, it seems as if they r harder to work on

what r some advantages of getting a deisel????

nnnnnnnn the white 1s must b mad rare then, cuz i cant find 1 no where, nore have i seen 1 here, maybe they did not sell here ince again,,,,, kinda sux, we get stuck with all the crappy models....... n get left out on all the sick imports cars ( like skylines)

5. shaz23 New Member

k i dont know how they r badged in Euro, but here heres how it goes

the 1.8T engine models r baged GTI (and "rabbits" in the present generation)
    and the 24v models r badged as VR6 (which aslo come in 12v models)

is that how it works there??

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Do you type using one of those stick things attached to your head?

7. vrbanana Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That is pure class, the hardest Ive laughed in ages :lol:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. shaz23 New Member

ummmmmmm if i knew what the hell u were talkin bout........ i'd answer it....

9. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

JUST SUPERB MATE....................:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Supercharged Forum Member

Hahaha - I just spat my tea out... excellent!

11. inoakgreen Forum Member

i am struggling with the text talk, but here goes:
    up here the 150bhp was the gti 1.8T, 180hp was the anniversary gti

well is fuel consumption really an issue in canada?? i thought the price was cheap on fuel.

vr6's sound sweet!! possibly more torquey. i know the mk4 vr6 comes as what is known as 4motion (ie 4WD), i dont know if they come as FWD though for this model.

i dont really know the availability of after-market parts in canada, so all i can say they are readily available for both engines here.

i've seen white mk4 gti's here

12. Seraph Banned

VW also made a regular 180hp gti.

As stated, 24v mk4 has 204hp.

13. shaz23 New Member

sweet thanks guys for the help.....

and sorry for the bad text typing hahha, its just a bad habit... i guess thats how we type on forums around here, didnt know it was so annoying where your guys are.

anyways ill try to keep it clean now. so ya i have never seen a white one in canada driving around or on sale.

but i have done alota research and i think i have come to the conclusion that i will go with the 1.8T b/c if i got a vr6, investing in a supercharger would be a little to much off the start , and the gas prices here are pretty bad now too.

they way alot of people see it. vr6 is not worth getting over a 1.8T unless your are gonna supercharge/big turbo it..... everyone keeps telling me that vr6's sound sweet.. thats really making my decission harder to make haha..... but we'll see what happens

anyways, the help is much appreciated guys
    God BLess!!
    cheers