Wanted one when they were new

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Sukhi1972, May 14, 2010.

1. Sukhi1972 New Member

After hankering for one for a long time (I was old enough to drive one, but not to afford one when they were new)........and then with things getting in the way (College/Uni/Job/Marriage/House/Family) I finally got round to buying a 1991 MKII GTi.

Bought it last year, totally standard (exc suspension) with plans to keep it standard, give it some TLC & enjoy it.

I've removed bumpers/lights etc to look for & deal with any rust (couple of surface spots nothing serious) and whilst at it have injected the cavities with Bilt Hamber cavity wax. Will do the same to all cavities under the carpet, sills etc.

Interior needs a new seat (got a mint interior ready to go in), clean engine bay (full of cobwebs as car had been sitting about for a while), get wheels refurbed, good clean and it's job done. Although I may return suspension to standard at some time.

Not sure if I'll keep it long term or sell it and scratch another teenage itch - RS Turbo, Sapphire Cosworth, E30 325i Sport, 205GTi amongst others.

My 3 year old wants to keep it because he reckons it's the coolest car on the nursery run -Tornado red MKII vs any number of black or silvers X5s, Q7s, Discoverys, Range Rovers etc.

Even if I don't do any shows/meets I'm sure I'll be on the forums looking for advice.

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome, what colour is it?

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The clue is there somewhere Ian. :lol:

Sounds great, i scratched my Mk2 GTI itch when i was 21. And i scratch it again every 6-12 months for a short period again. [:D]