"warm clutch"

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by roccodan, Jan 9, 2008.

1. roccodan Forum Member

I have just put a new clutch in the Scirocco and driven 500 miles or so and tonight it was slipping again, so I was wondering as the friction linings on a clutch are simler to those on brake pads will ti work bertter when warm and maybe slip if cold?

2. pipster Forum Member

possible slight oil leak from input shaft???
    (its recommended to change the seals when doing a clutch change)

3. Seraph Banned

Eh!? If it was leaking or a known problem area.

There's certainly no understanding in the trade of this. I can't imagine how irate customers would be when being told they'd a seal replacing that's nowhere close to u/s!

A small amount of oil would be absorbed into the lining and probably smelt. Any greater amount may only be obvious upon visual inspection.
    The temp is all but irrelevant. Presumably auto adjuster? Assembled correctly?

4. Supercharged Forum Member

As above temp and 'bedding in' are negligable...

Bad adjustment or oil contamination are the only things I can think of unless the wrong clutch is fitted or it's loose???

Warped flyweel could also do it but that would judder like mad on take off...

5. Supercharged Forum Member

Hmmm - just noticed where your from and not sure of the parts quality out there - did you use any particular make? 3 peice kit?

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I had this recently too. Apparently as the clutch beds in the cable tension increases (if it`s a manual adjustable). Just by backing it off a couple turns it was fine. Worth a try.