warning light

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by shanners, Mar 4, 2011.

1. shanners New Member

hey, im a new member.. i have a 2005 mk5 gti and i have a warning light on my dash, its to do with my steering, ive been to the vw dealer and he says it to to with a torque sensor on the steering and he reckon ill need a new steering rack. will it be a big and costly job ???

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Welcome. :thumbup:

Unfortunately some dealers are likely to want to do the relatively simple job of changing an expensive part rather than go through a series of checks that could save you money...

If you can get hold of or find someone with the VAGCOM diagnostic software (or VCDS) then there a few simple checks that can be done to determine exactly what`s wrong. It may be the case that the dealers have actually done this, but it`s worth doing yourself for piece of mind before shelling out for a new rack.

You wil need to check that the torque sensor is actually operating correctly, and try re-setting the steering assist values. Also check all the wiring and connections.

If the none of that works then I`m afraid it is indeed time for a new rack. It`s a fairly common fault on Mk5s, but sometimes it`s a software coding error that can be easily corrected without the need for a new rack.

A cynic might say; the dealers know this, but change the rack too...

3. seiko New Member

+ 1 on the last post, shanners i see you are in haverfordwest, I am in swansea if you are passing this way I have vag come and would be happy to scan the car for you if you have not sorted it yet.:thumbup:

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've came across several faults with racks, being electrical/servo operated the software can & has caused issues internally

being Cynical I'll have to say likey to be a rack!
    not too much of a big job on a ramp,1 1/2 - 2 hours?

5. shanners New Member

alright seiko, i brought the car to sinclars vw in nayland, they check the problem and said they couldnt reset it. they gave me a quote of 1390 to change the rack and to track all 4 wheels. the rack alone cost nearly 700. if i got a secondhand rack would that do or would it have to be a new 1 / im starting to devolepe a few other problems with the car, the front window wipers only come on the the car is moving, the front washer doesnt work now and that problem started last week. theirs a airbag warning light on now aswell, the car is starting to reck my head. any suggestions ??

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I'll give your 200 for the car.....

both front wipers & washers won't work when it thinks the bonnet is up!
    might need bonnet catch which is built into the unit, 2nd hand rack should be ok

7. seiko New Member

know how you feel mate, got mine in october last year, bought it cheap and have changed, dv, pcv, fuel cam folower, water flange, coil packs, break pads, all fluids and filtters, all vw parts, the only second hand part i used was the brake servo, and was a ***** to change, had to drop the engine way down and remove the turbo to get it out and replacement in. and my boost leak took some traking down lol, as regards to your rack it is a common fault on early mk5 gti, second hand should be fine and I would get the later rack if you can the later the better, window wipers could be down to the bonnet catch as stated in the previouse post, or if the wipers are stuck in auto mode the dont work until the car is moving aprox 20mph, Front window washer could be down to just a fuse, as for the air bag warning light my son has a vw polo, and every few months i have to clear it and reset it, just stick at it, when sorted they are a great car :thumbup::thumbup:

8. shanners New Member

is it a big job to remove a good steering rack from 1 car and install it in another car. i might have found a secondhand 1 and im wondering would it be worth useing a secondhand 1 instead of getting a new 1. its in a 06 GTI with interior fire damage. rest of the car is good but the rack is still in the car? any advise ???????

9. seiko New Member

if you are going to keep the car, I would get a new one and if you can fitt it yourself all the better,