WARNING!! Watch out for this ebay scammer!

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by Alpenweiss2, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Hello all. Just thought I should warn all of you on here about 'artlutherie91' on ebay who is apparently breaking a mint 1991 16v mk2 gti.
    Here's a link to his listing which ended on 25th January 2009.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-GTI-MK2-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3efc01eee3

It seems the guy has conned me out of 50 of my hard earned money[:x] [:x] [:x]

In the listing he states that he has quite a few new parts so I paid him 50 by Paypal for new balljoints (VW) new trackrod ends (VW) and a pair of front orange indicators for a big bumper model (genuine VW and new). I paid just over a week ago and nothing has turned up[:x] I have e-mailed him about six times and also sent 4-5 ebay messages but no response?

When I paid him by paypal he said to pay him as a gift payment and that his full contact details would be in the paypal receipt! All I got was his name (Andrew Whitehead and his e-mail address bmx180@hotmail.co.uk). He is apparently based near Fort William (Corpach) in the Highlands...so I hope he isn't lurking on this forum!

Anyway just a warning...I think I will struggle to get my money back as paypal doesn't recognise it as a proper transaction because I gifted him the payment[:s] [:x] [:s]

Any advice welcome

Alpenweiss2[:^(]

2. Adam_16v Forum Member

Never pay as a gift, you should have transfered the money for 'goods or services'. He was probably saving on the fees

Having said that, I've been a victim of cons via paypal before. They are no help at getting your money back despite their claims [:x]

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

How long ago was it that you paid him? Are you sure he's not just away ski-ing / working offshore / etc.

4. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

What's with the "THIS AUCTION IS FOR A BUNCH OF BLOWN FUSES", right at the bottom of the page? Am I missing something obvious?

5. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

So, missing something obvious then. [:$]

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Anything like that and I’ve asked them to stick it on a “buy it now” with the agreed price and a strange title description, then buy it as soon as it hits e-gay. If they don’t want to do it I just walk away.

Paypal are useless, but so far I’ve had all the money returned to me that should have been, very slow though

7. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Well he told me via ebay message that if I paid for the items by paypal he would post them out the next day!! That was over a week ago!! Also there have been no replies to any of my emails and ebay messages.

He also said that his FULL contact details would be in the paypal receipt. All I got was e-mail address and name!![:x] [:x] [:x]

Alpenweiss2:)

8. TimE-J Forum Member

there are alot of people that are out there to con people, luckly ive always got either most or all of my money back through paypal, try not to send as a gift, yeh there will be charges on his behalf but thats tough on them, everyone has to pay them!.

9. mk1. Forum Junkie

10. Adam_16v Forum Member

there is an option in ebay to request the users registered details (name, address and phone number) to resolve disputes. I think it provides the option when you try to open a dispute. Worth a try

11. pebble beach New Member

Ive got some mates who live there, i will give them a bell and see if they know the car & the lad, one is a copper who owes me so could ask him to make a house call if need be or go the other route and ask my old army buddy who is a no nonsense type of guy, its a small town so they will know the car.