Warped front disks - Don't buy cheap brands

Discussion in 'Passat' started by rich81, Jul 12, 2011.

1. rich81 Forum Member

A quick word of warning if you're looking to buy new disks - I've now warped 2 pairs of cheap ones from GSF on my 1.9 tdi B5. Just fitted a pair of Brembo's, again from GSF and only 4 dearer! Hopefully these will last a bit longer.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`ve never had a problem with el cheapo discs from GSF (V-tech). :thumbup:

Proper bedding in technique, and not holding your foot on the brake at the lights helps massively.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Have you checked to see if the discs are actually warped. Build up of pad material can cause it too.

Also, are the back brakes working properly?

4. rich81 Forum Member

I've not actually measured them yet, but changing the discs has sorted it. The old discs were rubbish as the contact area wasn't big enough for the pads there was a slight overhang at the bottom.

As above, holding the brakes at lights could well be a big contributing factor as this is an auto. I usually knock it into N at lights and I've tought the mrs to do so aswell now!

The cheapo GSF came to about 40 and I've just put a set of Brembo ones on which were only 4 more! so well worth it. I'll see how long these last.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

disc thickness variation or something.

i think ive got a similar problem with some elcheapo eichar discs from ecp.

sadly its 80 to swap to pagids

6. rich81 Forum Member

Eicher! Yeah they are the ones I've been warping. They seem to swell and you get an on/off feeling on the brakes at low speed and terrible wobbling of the steering wheel under high speed braking, not good.

I don't know what model Passat you have but Brembo 280mm discs were only about 44 with clubgti discount... They look much better than the Eischer ones and brakes feel better so far as well.

Also It's worth noting the cheap brands from ECP/GSF may be completely fine on other cars, I've never had issues on my mk2 with them. I think it's down to the passat being very heavy and also mine being an auto the brakes tend to get left on.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine are on a mk4 golf, 312mm, i get a nasty wheel wobble :(

since changing yours the issues went?

8. rich81 Forum Member

Yeah completely fine after. I changed the discs the first time when the car belonged to a friend who was having bad vibration under braking. It had been so bad the car needed two new track rod ends at the time. You could clearly feel the discs had warped as at low speed the brakes had a grabbing feel as the wheels went round. Changed em and it was sorted.
    That was about 9 months ago, then I bought the car 5 months ago and it started to develoop the same problem recently although not as bad. Just changed them last week and it's all sorted now. The brakes seem much better this time round.

9. eightieshatches Forum Member

cheap discs

being an ex ecp employee any of the cheaper stuff you buy from them will be the same.
    unfortunatly you get what you pay for and the cheaper stuff is made to a budget.

its always worth buying the more expensive brands as they tend to last longer.

if your discs have warped within a year of purchase i would take them back and ask for warranty most of the time they will credit the stuff back to you or they may let you pay the difference for the better brands.