wastegate solenoid A malfunction (N75 valve) - FIXED!split wire..

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by M7R, Sep 2, 2010.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

the Audi has thrown a wobbly this eve and gone into limp mode. this is the code the universal scan tool at work has give me:

Turbo wastegate soilinoid A malfunction

so do folks think its just a case of swap the valve over? or am I looking at a waste gate problem? (its not sounded as sweet as my dads I must admit, his makes a loud Poooo noise as it dumps where as mines got a bit of a rattle but i put it down to a loose heat sheild and the fact mine doesnt run a oe exhaust and is remapped... where as my dads is completely stock and only done 60k vs my 136k.

cheers

Karl.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  2. aidanb22 Forum Member

Hasn't got a wastegate...
    Check it on proper vagcom as generic code readers are often wrong

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

they have a wastegate of sort I belive, it still dumps like a petrol its just ecu controlled (I believe its actually used for the VNT system thinking about it)

but I will still have it on vag com now I am home, im just waiting for the girlfrind to come round from hers with my laptop bag and vag lead.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  4. m1keh Forum Member

Its an n75 valve not a wastegate. Probably be that needs replacing but vag-com will tell your more so we'll wait for that. It could be sticky vanes too i guess but your not getting limp mode or anything yeah?

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

yep it throws it in to limp and removes the turbo boost [:^(] clear the fault and it comes back

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/VNT-wastegate-adjust.htm

I guess it could be sticking vanes, but the car get the odd booting a few times a week to clear it out, like this morning when over taking a car and truck...it got given some revs from 2k to 3 in 5th and its running on cleaner shell fuel now so not as smokey when giving it some. plus the last 2 weeks have been set in the welsh mountians so its been boosting more climbing the hills (best I average was 41mpg! normally im nearly 50 for a full tank)

6. m1keh Forum Member

Ouch, not good news. It would be worth logging actual vs requested MAP and seeing what it's doing. But sticky vanes it does point to. Or it could just be a dodgy N75 what is the number of the code it threw with vag-com? Plus booting it needs to really be round to 4 to really get the gases flowing.

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

while waiting for Mel to turn up I started to pull things apart, I took the boost hose off. then checked the vanes were free by sucking on the actuator with a clean bit of pipe.. all was free and working well and smooth. I also checked the turbo for end float and happly there was non which bodes well for the life of it

so next point of call was un bolting the actuator to get a better look at how it comes off etc... got it un bolted and while moving it out of the way one of the wires poped out of the cover!!! so it looks like the problem is just a split wire fingers crossed! I will know by mid morning tomorrow when I have soldered it back together and put the car back together.

cheers for the quick replies though guys, that what makes cgti soo brill! no matter what the problem some one can normally ffer some light on the matter!

8. m1keh Forum Member

Hopefully thats all it is. I try to help although sometimes I can be miles off.

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

just for referance heres what vag com has thrown up:

Friday,03,September,2010,09:16:53:19627
    VCDS Version: Release 10.6.0

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BLB.lbl
    Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 016 GN HW: 028 101 211 3
    Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 9618
    Software Coding: 0000072
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00191 264 15243
    VCID: 75EAF33465A9
    2 Faults Found:

16627 - Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75): Malfunction
    P0243 - 000 - - - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 882 /min
    Torque: 32.0 Nm
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Load: 0.0 %
    Voltage: 13.91 V
    Bin. Bits: 11000100
    Absolute Pres.: 1030.2 mbar
    Absolute Pres.: 999.6 mbar

16629 - Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75): Short to Ground
    P0245 - 000 - -
    Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 882 /min
    Torque: 20.0 Nm
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Load: 0.0 %
    Voltage: 12.62 V
    Bin. Bits: 11000100
    Absolute Pres.: 1020.0 mbar
    Absolute Pres.: 979.2 mbar

Readiness: 0 1 0 0 1

I have now resoldered the wire, heat shrinked it and then wrapped the other wire too, then wrapped up the case as well and changed the wire routing to hopefully avoid it rubbing / being pulled again. (it looks likes it been on its way for a while as the wire was a bit green!)

im now off to give it another run and fingers crossed all is well....

Edit - just been for a run, no fault codes, and I have booooost again :thumbup:

Cheers agin for the input and advice

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010