Water Filter Taps... any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by Mike_H, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I hate fur in my kettle, scum in my tea, and all that. I drink a lot of plain water as well, and tap water in this area reeks of chlorine. I'm too tight to buy bottled water all the time, and it's environmentally unsound anyway. I normally use a jug type water filter, but was thinking of upgrading to a filter tap for convenience - spend half my life filling the damn filter.. Anyone got one, or more importantly, has anyone got one that's actually any good on hard water in the south east.

I've had a browse around Screwfix, Amazon and a few other places, and there's a vast range of prices - from about 30 quid, to 200 or more for fancy ones.

Any recommendations?

30.99 kit. Cartridge 9.99 every 6 months
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/water-filter-kit/14306

66.49 kit. Cartridge 25 every 6 months
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-performance-water-filter-kit/37975

179.99 Brita branded kit - filter 44.99. Replacement interval depends on when the machine tells you to change it.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/brita-on-...em/48381#product_additional_details_container

I've seen more expensive ones as well, but they seem to be 'designer' taps with a filter attached.

Or there's in-line filters that you run to an existing tap - not really fussed about whether there's a 3rd tap or not.

20.39 for an in line carbon filter. Cartridge is 9.59 every 3-4 months.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-capa...10/16747#product_additional_details_container

Willing to pay for something that gives me better tasting water but don't care about brand names.

Anything to look for - what types of filter are more effective, longer lasting, etc?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. Mike_H Forum Addict

This is why I ask this sort of question on CGTI... there's usually some sort of expert lurking, for any semi technical subject.

I use a Brita carbon filter type jug, and there's no fur in my kettle, provided I change the filter cartridge regularly enough. I hate having tea at anyone else's house because it's not as good as mine, which means I have to drink all their whisky instead. ;)

So, if you think those would all give the same results as a Brita filter jug, but without the hassle, then I'm happy with that. Is there a certain micron spec of filter I should be aiming for? I notice the more expensive ones say they're 5 micron or something, whereas the cheapo ones don't mention a spec.

Do you know of any ion exchange filters designed for domestic use, at sensible prices?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Postcode SL4 - water quality - pants! Tastes like it's been filtered through some pants at that.

If that BRITA filter does 500L per change, then it needs to be on a separate tap (not included). If I ran that through the main sink tap, I'd be changing the filter every month (I wash dishes in that sink too - no dishwasher.) The BRITA taps that Argos also sell are 200. From looking closely at the pics, they're 3-way taps, so there's a separate feed for the filtered water.

So it looks like it might be an option, but it still needs a separate tap. Might buy one of the Screwfix kits and see if it can be adapted for the cleverer BRITA filter. It's only pipework, at the end of the day.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I grew up in East Central Scotland - KY6 area. I reckon the chlorine down here is higher than I grew up with, and certainly the water is a lot harder. I'd never seen a furred up kettle till I moved to the South East.

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I can't really comment on the water in this house as I don't drink tea or coffee. However the rest of the family say its horrible so we have 2 items installed

One is an anti-lime scale device that you wrap round the incoming water pipe and wire it up to the mains. I was not sure that would do much really but it actually has! We have a jug that we fill up and put in the fridge for cold water. There is much less lime scale build up round the top of that now. Also in the shower head's you had to clean every month, now...well I can't remember the last time I did it this yeah. Nice flow on it.

We then rebuilt the kitchen and put in a fancy brita tap. Hot on the left, filtered in the middle and cold on the right. It was very easy to install with the plastic pipe work. It's a little small though so its more a jet of water then a tap. Just takes a little longer to fill the kettle or jug. Filters last 3 months and they just use a normal unfiltered kettle now.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks for the input Mat

Is your tap like one of these?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8433435/Trail/searchtext>BRITA+TAP.htm

with a filter like this?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8430531/Trail/searchtext>WATER+FILTER.htm

It's a neater solution for sure, but to me it's just an expensive tap. The filter is the clever bit. I'd be happy with a separate tap, if it saves 200, but then I am from north of the border ;)

I'm wondering if the BRITA tap has any bespoke type connections that would prevent me using a combination of a cheaper filter kit, and maybe use a BRITA filter later, if I'm not happy with the performance of the other type.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  7. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Thats the one. It's got a little led on the bottom of it that tells you the filter is ok.

Tbh if you have a good enough tap there at the moment then stick with it. We had a really nice one first (not a brita) that had like a removable shower head to wash down the sink. It was nice but we needed the brita and the only reason we went for the all in one is corian worktops. Didn't fancy putting a new hole in that for a separate tap!

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

my recommendation would be move back to scotland but i take it thats not a option
    the water down your way is diabolical i dont think there is much you can do to make it any better
    its the only place i know you cant get soap to lather
    as for filters most are a waste of time but if you do get one make sure you change the filter regularly

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Well I would consider moving back to Scotland, but the weather is terrible, and it's full of miserable negative feckers, and the logistics of moving the house, workshop and 12 cars doesn't fill me full of joy.

The current jug filter does a grand job. It's just a pain in the butt keeping it topped up all the time. If I can get one that does the same job without the topping up, cleaning the jug, changing the new filter, then it's a winner.

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Simple but 100% effective descale method. Use a table spoon of lemon soda crystals in a kettle full of water. Boil. Drain. Rinse. Repeat if your kettle is sooo scaly that there is a rock forming inside it! It will descale the kettle 100% with no aftertaste or nasty chemical residue!!

Gurds

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yes, and then about 2 days later it's scaling up again. Prevention is better than cure, old bean. Thought engineers were supposed to believe in that sort of thing?!

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yea, but engineers also like cheap simple solutions. Filters cost MONEH! lol.

Gurds

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Bought one of these in the end - just finished fitting it. Flow is better than I expected - probably because it's a pressurised system. Got it for 10 less than the current price - not sure why. Still a bit more than I wanted to spend, but hopefully it'll work reliably. Fitting was reasonably straightforward, if you can do basic plumbing. The filter is supposed to last about 6 months, but costs 45 to change, so not a cheap solution. Will keep an eye open for special offers on those ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brita-Line-...6VRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346589205&sr=8-3

Tap
    [​IMG]

Filter unit under the sink
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  15. Mike_H Forum Addict

16. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Inline scale inhibitor, less than 30 and easy to fit if you have half a clue about plumbing. That will help loads, I always fit one if a customer wants an electric shower or if I fit replacement electric shower so they last longer as they basically work like a kettle and get full of scale.