Water in fuse box?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Clarkey231, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Clarkey231 New Member

Hi,

My 1991 16v has not been used much last couple of years. This year I was determined to use it more so set about sorting an issue with the indicators. When I indicate they stay on on the dash but no blinking. Done this intermittently for a while. I’ve tried fuse/ relay/ stalk so far. Then I got down by the fuse box and noticed drips next to the fuse box. Removed box, douched with WD40 and hey presto indicators work. Unfortunately blower, demister, fogs and wipers don’t! I’ve ordered a good second hand fuse box and hope this sorts issue. Any other suggestions?

I ran 12v direct to fan and away it went. So hopefully points to fuse box.

thanks very much.

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

It does look like the fusebox and water ingress and hopefully the new unit will fix it. That said it would also be important to source where the leak is and sort it. I am going to presume that this may be from the windscreen or around the bulkhead/scuttle/ecu/blower motor area.

Pull off any covers in that area and check for holes/water/rust/leaves that may be lodged in there. With regard to leaves and crud remove everything and vacuum up the smaller stuff and get the area clean and dry and confirm that any drain holes are free and clear.

More often than not it is the scuttle area that's the culprit but you can also have rust around at the corner of or behind the windscreen seal.

Is the leak solely around the fusebox or do you have damp/wet carpets as well?

I would love to know if anything can be done with the old unit - like soaking it in something to tackle the corrosion and keep it as a spare but the question is what if anything could you soak it in?

Apparently you can take them apart but that might be a complete PITA to do.

3. Clarkey231 New Member

Many thanks for your reply. I’m struggling to attach pics as I’ve completely removed dash to find the leak. My guess is two areas, 1st and most important is the bonnet catch cable, second is the intake above the heater in the scuttle area. Well those are my first impressions anyway. The whole area is solid, I played a hose all around the windscreen, minor ingress bottom right corner of screen.

The dash is also removed to remove all the foam stuff pouring out of my vents. The stuff wrapped around the cables is disintegrating!

4. Clarkey231 New Member

I did have wet carpets. We had a deluge yesterday and previously and I think it’s mainly from the areas I mentioned. To the right of the fan blower is a little pool! But that’s my fault for not using the cover I bought. That’s on now and I’m drying car out in prep for fuse box.

5. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I had this same problem with the indicators. Everything else seemed to work.
    I think my problem was a leaking windscreen since I could see traces of moisture down the bottom of the A pillar. Seen on the metal between the dash. I sealed the windscreen and I "think" the issue is fixed.
    I believe @AKAeddypeck had a similar issue and it was the blank that covers the LHD fresh air intake lesking.
    I dried it out with a small fan heater, left it on a few days and reseated the relays

6. Clarkey231 New Member

Thanks. I attempted to dry first with heaters, then the wife’s hairdryer. That was enough to get my indicators sorted but not the other issues. Fingers crossed the replacement box is good and I’ll be very careful with leaving the car uncovered. I’ll also look to seal what I can.