Water injection....for forced induction.?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Mr T, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Mr T Forum Member

Water injection lowers charge temp and increases density of that air, and also helps prevent detonation.

So could you use a good water injection system and not use an intercooler ?

Or would the water injection not be capable of reducing charge temp sufficiently ?
    Edited by: Mr T

2. mk1 ben Forum Member

best off trying to get air as cool as possible so intercooler and water injection is the best

3. Rallye Forum Junkie

yeah id use a intercooler first

4. Mr T Forum Member

my thoughts too [:$] , would have made it simple tho! :lol:

5. Rallye Forum Junkie

yeah it would, if only eh!

aquamist is too, more than a nice IC anyway

6. hayesey Forum Junkie

aquamist costs 300 for the basic kit which is all you need really unless you're engine is putting out far more power than standard. I'm going to be getting it this winter for mine. but I'll also be replacing the standard intercooler with a bigger one

7. Mr T Forum Member

Aquamist do a slightly more expensive kit (400 ish) that reads the PWM of the injectors (both pulse and hold type) and boost.
    It uses boost and PWM signal to determine load and thus the amount of water to inject.
    This kit is compatable with OEM management.
    They also do kits for aftermarket management , where the ECU controls the flow/cut in point, and full 3D mapped kits that run stand alone(although their stand alone mapped option looks a bit antiquated! :lol: ).

8. Rallye Forum Junkie

i would get the one for aftermarket

9. Jetta Forum Junkie

How would I get it to work with mechanical diesel injection as i dont have an ecu? is there a kit any one recomends for a mech diesel?. I think I've spotted the perfect place for the jet, on the outlet for the intercooler as there is a long straight pipe going to the inlet so should allow good atomisation.
    Edited by: GTD.

10. Mr T Forum Member

I would have thought on a diesel you could use their basic kit, where a pressure switch determines the boost threshold at which water injection commences.
    Thats assuming you could use this effectively on a diesel, im not sure. Higher compression and combustion temp might be a problem?

RALLYE- you say you would go for aftermarket kit. I think im gona go for the kit that reads the injector PWM as im on OEM management... :p
    Decent intercooler and water injection should do the job [:[]

11. Jetta Forum Junkie

From Aquamist FAQ
    Is water injection effective on turbo diesels ?
    Yes, Water injection can improve the torque output of the diesel engine, simply due to extra cylinder pressure during the evaporation of water. Further information links can be found on the "design/reference" section on this site.

Sound good, looks like I'm gonna have to find an old mk2 GTi rear washer tank, as I'm not sure if the methanol in screenwash is a good idea in a TD [:s]

Thinking about fitting it as the IC is in a poor location in a GTD as it in the engine bay, in the same place as the IC on a G6 with AC.
    [​IMG]
    Excuse the state of the bay, its the only pic I've got of it, I took it when I got the car home from the auction. [:$]

12. Rallye Forum Junkie

id get the 'aftermarket' based kit as i could map it with my ECU PWM out