Water injection.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by nuttinnew, May 3, 2004.

1. nuttinnew Forum Member

Is this practicable in place of an intercooler?

2. Jono_TDI Forum Member

3. Kingsley Forum Member

a charge cooler could replace the intercooler... water injection is a fine sprayed mist into the inlet to make the air mixture more dense allowing greater fuelling and more turbo boost pressure

4. Polog4tracer Forum Member

I prefer an intercooler, as its more effective for cooling charge air on open road driving, and also less weight. I find a charge cooler better for town driving and low speed acceleration as its acting like a radiator (well effectively it is) to cool the boost constantly.

Most G40's run larger intercoolers, to compensate for heatsoak, rather than a charger cooler.

Ideally, water injection should be used in conjunction with an intercooler, Spray it in far away from the TB, as you want it to atomise throughly. Allows you to use greater ingition advance (and also prevent pinking), which as kingsley has said, allows greater fuelling.

You can use methanol aswell!

Aquamist System 1s is the one you want.
    Edited by: Polog4tracer

5. jcorallo Forum Member

thats what I got.

I'm using 60/40 water/alcohol. You'll find it hard to obtain methanol though - but a substitute you can use is Isopropyl Alcohol (also known as Isopropanol).

Its an electrical cleaner - Maplins sell it ~10 a litre.

Sounds a lot, but you dont use much. I've got an old Austin Mini washer bottle (~1.5L) mounted in the back of my VR and I've used about 1/3 of it in 4 months.

Jules

6. Jono_TDI Forum Member

Why would methanol be hard to get hold of, Just speak to some boys who race speed way bikes dont they run on methanol or even raid the local chemistry lab at school, Guess you could pay your younger brother/sister to do it for ya :lol:

7. jcorallo Forum Member

Maplins dont sell Methanol - so that means its hard to get hold of right, and yes, I'm a lazy f*ck....!

:lol:

Jules

8. Rallye Forum Junkie

well if TSC can get hydrocloric acid i think methonal should be easy