Weakest 'link' in my PC?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by G-Man, Apr 14, 2012.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Got a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop and ended up getting rid of Vista to run XP on so it'll run quicker for everyday browsing etc...

However I was thinking of 'tweaking' my PC spec's but I'm not quite sure where I can really tweak it and get noticeable results in general everyday use, so any advice will be good:

Processor: Intel Q6600 2.4ghz (8M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) - Socket 775
    Memory: 2GB DDR PC2-5300
    Hard Drive: 320GB Western Digital (WD3200AAKS-75B3A0) 7,200rpm & 16MB buffer
    Graphics/Sound: Internal motherboard rubbish

I don't use the PC for video or music hence they remain at internal specs.

Crucial states I can upgrade to PC2-6400 (800mhz) memory but will that be any quicker? More to the point is it even worth going to 3GB?

Finally my CPU runs an FSB of 1066mhz, can I not also run the memory at this speed?

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Not much that you could do with that spec really, that you would notice a difference.
    Cut your losses and go for a better spec. Check out aria.co.uk as they have loads of new cheap specs at the moment but using quality parts that you can upgrade in the future, unlike the dell.

3. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

If you are running XP, the 32bit version will only recognize 3GB of RAM max. So if you want more it'll be worth doing a 64bit install.
    A fresh install can make a difference. As well as updated drivers,.

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

Cheers for the 2nd opinion guys; I'm a bit out of touch with the latest PC spec's to the point and don't want to spend money on a new PC for very little benefit given I use mine mainly for general office applications and web browsing.

XP is 32bit hence I would only go 3GB but looking at my memory usage it appears I rarely use the 2GB in full anyway.

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You could get a really decent barebones desktop with mobo/cpu(hs+fan)/ram/case for around 200 which will have lots of scope for future upgrades. :thumbup: Somtimes you can get one bundled with a copy of Win7 too, as you will want that for anything over 3gb RAM as previously mentioned.

6. Pluginz Forum Member

Get a nice 775 motherboard, say an Asus P5KE, something like that, you can pick them up real cheap now. Then run your Q6600 at 333x9 = 3Ghz. From 2.4 to 3ghz its a nice jump, take it from me. You should be able to run it at 3ghz all day long even without any volt increases.

Get another one of your hard drives and run RAID 0 striping.

You could purchase some new ram but it wont make it any quicker, maybe a little. Run your ram you have now at 533 in the bios and you should get a memory divider of 1:1. Meaning CPU and memory are running in sync. Faster ram may have slightly lower timings but thats about it.

Those 3 things will make your system a totally different beast. Should keep you going for another couple o years.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  7. Pluginz Forum Member

Forgot to ask. Is your Q6600 a B3 or GO stepping? Running CPU-Z will tell you.

8. Pluginz Forum Member

Just looked at your system. Didnt realise it needed a mATX motherboard. Ok so some more options for you, keeping your cpu and case.

This motherboard is very cheap right now and will fit your case. Bearing in mind it only has two ram slots.

http://www.ebuyer.com/267114-gigaby...board-vga-7-1-channel-audio-matx-ga-g41mt-s2p

Some DDR3 Ram, 4gb, one stick :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/229102-kingston-4gb-ddr3-1066mhz-memory-non-ecc-cl7-1-5v-kvr1066d3n7-4g

Now thats a brand new motherboard running 4gb of DDR3. Should go pretty well with an overclocked Q6600. For 50 thats what I would do.

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

^^^ Never knew prices of new motherboards and memory would be that cheap!

Just need to factor in some better cooling if clocking the processor as don't think the current heatsink isn't that great. Will check my CPU spec when I'm back at my home PC.

Since I already have Vista should I go back to that or is Windows 7 that much better?

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

I'll let the pics do the talking as not sure what a B3 or GO stepping is [:$]

[​IMG]

11. Pluginz Forum Member

Yep, ideally Win7 64Bit, but Vista 32bit is still good enough with a usable 3gb ram.

Ah the CPU-Z screen, nice one.

Stepping same as the revision of the chip. Early Q6600's were the B3 and not as efficient, ran a little warmer. I see yours is the later GO, same as mine. Ran cooler, needed less voltage, overclocked better.

Ebuyer have a whole range of 775 coolers to choose from. I run a thermalright extreme 120, maybe abit over the top for what you want, but I can run it a 3.6Ghz and have steady 32 degree idle. Something of the same design would be good. Probably pick one up for 15!

12. richwig83 Forum Member

Get a Solid State hard disc... the performance is ridiculous.

13. Pluginz Forum Member

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I have one of those coolers on my development box, and it's very good. Nice and quiet.
    I don't OC at all though.

As above, a SSD will make a huge difference.

I just built up a new board for a friend, using these:

Asus mobo You'd need a mATX board though.
    Corsair RAM
    Intel Pentium 1155 CPU

Just over 100, and it flies. I was very impressed with it.

15. Pluginz Forum Member

Corsair ram even better, nice find!

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

Just cleared the usual dust built up inside the case and the heatsink will definately need replacing :lol:

Had a look at SSD and have to admit if funds permit I'd like one, however I'm guessing I can run the SSD as my primary drive and use my current HD as a 'dumping' ground for my music and larger files I don't really need fast access to?

17. Pluginz Forum Member

Yep, you can do that bud.

18. richwig83 Forum Member

Yep. Just get a 128gb. Use that for your OS, programs and files that you need quick access too. Everything else whack on your existing drive.

19. andypaterson Forum Member

If you were really strapped you could go with a 64GB SSD and limit what you put on there. That's what i've done but to be honest it's a bit of a pain in the ****! All tha'ts on there is the OS, Office and Photoshop. I've got extra programs, user profiles and games on a seperate 'normal' HDD. it does work well, but if you want to be faff free then go for a 128GB at least. There's loads of SSD drives below the 1 per GB mark now and they will only get cheaper and more reliable.