Weaknesses of the 020, and "Dual Synchros"..?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by theboymike, Apr 25, 2011.

1. theboymike Forum Junkie

Thanks for all the thoughts and pics - especially to Mart for sharing his opinion :thumbup:

Fair point about the original synchros lasting reasonably, however if I'm getting my box rebuilt anyway it seems short sighted not to address a known weak point if it can be done reasonably easily.

I think the key points of the running dual synchros is to reduce wear and improve the change quality; I see no reason why they should have any influence on gear strength so this needs to be considered as a separate issue.

My understanding of gearboxes is scant at best so I might be completely wrong, but I imagine dual synchros to essentially be two singles in series; thereby reducing the shear force generated between the synchro cones and gearwheel as they are forced into engagement. I've tried to find some info in the internetz but it's being surprisingly coy about showing me some pictures..

Not had any reply yet from eurospec; will chase them up if I haven't had a reply after a week.

Cheers again all for the information; keep it coming :thumbup:

2. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Spoke to them a few years ago, they told me the 020 wasn't available from their supplier any more. There are other suppliers of 020 kits but it comes down to the cost and resale value. I've weighed it up and reckon on balance it's probably better to go 02a so that's what I think I'm going to do although I do like the idea of keeping it retro.

3. moffatt Forum Member

just had my 020 go on my 16v its split the casing down the front of the box about 6 inch long,no warning or owt.when i get it out guna try to strip it to find out why but i think its the diff rivets luckily wasn"t going at any speed when it went but i bet if u are travelling it could make quite a mess!!!

4. theboymike Forum Junkie

Nasty - what did it turn out to be in the end?

After chasing Eurospec I finally got a response:
    So best case scenario the synchros will fit and they will be able to supply some at a decent price for testing purposes (perhaps in my own 'box depending on monies).

No doubt I'll have to chase them again so I'll give them a week or two to get sorted.

Assuming the bits fit, are available, do what it says on the tin and are reasonably priced, is anyone else likely to be interested in a set as well?

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sorry to hear about your box... the diff is at the back though - it would have to get through the whole box to split the front of the casing. I'm wondering if your clutch/flywheel fell off.

Is the split in the bellhousing, or in the main body of the box?

Last edited: May 17, 2011