Webber Advantages/disadvantages

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by antinkariba, May 4, 2007.

1. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I am a little stumped.... I am not sure whether to change my carb to a webber. I dont want to start a weber/pierberg debate... I just honeslty want to know what the advantages and disadvantages are to having one on my car before i make any rash decisions![:s]

I have a 1.6 MK2 currently with a 2E2!

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Advantages of 2E2:

It's already fitted
    It may be as simple as a bit of vac. hose to get it working good enough
    It's a challenge (in a good way)

Advantages of a Weber:

It's simpler, less to go wrong
    It will probably be brand new, therefore fundamentally 'working'
    It'll feel much better in terms of drivability, mainly for the above reason

I'll let someone else cover the disadvantages of both, you've already seen the battle I've had, but thoroughly enjoyed, with my 2E2. :)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

basically it boils down to:

webber:
    + easy to work on
    + easy to tune for engine mods
    - manual choke
    - less economical (than a working 2e2)

2e2:
    + economical (when its working)
    + autochoke (when its working)
    - complex, though there is lots of info available now ;)
    - hard to tune (most garages wont touch them)

Basically, 2e2s are on average around 15 years old now, unless you're lucky and bought a car of someone who knows how to fix one, its going to need some work! The worst case is you buy the car off someone who THINKS they know how to fix one, and its had all the linkages played with. In this case its VERY hard to put right!

Contrary to what most people think you wont see an increase in performance fitting one, unless your 2e2 is knackered!

4. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Rubjonny is right, there isn't an increase in performance. It just seems like there is because you are going from a non-working/wonky car to a fully functioning one.
    Is your pierburg knackered or just a bit annoying?
    Mine was well buggered, leaked petrol and I had to tickle the accelerator or it would bog down.
    If its broke I reckon the weber is the most cost effective (if you fit it yourself - its easy), wouldn't like to think what a garage would charge to fettle a 2E2.
    Fitting the weber gives you the chance to fit an oil cooler from a GTI, but I doubt wether that could be called an advantage.

5. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

What's an oil cooler got to do with a carb?

If you're planning on upgrading the engine - GTI cam, 2l bottom etc then the weber's the way to go 'cos you can get a 32/36 instead of the 'normal' 32/34 and increase the jet sizes. I think the pierburg is fairly limited in that regard.

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

You can if you want to, it'll cool your oil. You don't have too or even need to.
    If you have a pierburg you need to have three coolant sensors on the front flange meaning you can't fit the pipework for a GTI oil cooler. A weber only needs two coolant sensors so you can use the GTI two sensor flange and connect the cooler.

You can increase the jet sizes in a 32/34. The numbers 32/34 and 32/36 refer to the size of the venturis.

7. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Ah, I see. After I posted, I suddenly thought it might have something to do with the number of temp sensors.

I didn't mean you couldn't change the jet sizes in a 32/34, although I can see how it was read that way. I meant you could change jet sizes and you could also get a 32/36 which has a larger secondary venturi to get a bit more oomph at speed.

8. shexuel Forum Member

what makes webber better in perfomanse over 2e2. bigger jets ? is there some pump or something.???

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the webber doesnt perform any better than a working 2e2 :)

10. Barkstar Forum Member

I'm not sold on the notion that a Weber uses any more fuel. I easily get over 40mpg on a run and did the 410 mile run to my brothers (30% fast A roads 70% M-way) on a tankful a month or two back. I did keep the speed legal-ish on the M-way but didn't have to plod to achieve it. If I'm a bit more enthusiastic the mpg does drop but not drastically - I'll need fuel about 15 miles from home. My Driver also features GTi cam and exhaust.

As for power you'd only get a definative on that one by doing back to back dyno testing with two well sorted carbs on the same car. But there's probably not a lot in it.

Barkstar [:*:]

11. shexuel Forum Member

then why everyone talks at forum about extra horse power +5 or +10 just with weber. i understand that may be weber dont have some problems like 2e2 but how extra power is achieved. a lot of guys talking about realy noticable power.

12. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Most people will be making the power comparison between the old, unserviced Pierburg, and a brand new Weber. However, just looking at the venturi diameters 28/30 for the Pierburg and 32/34 for the Weber, it's not hard to see how the Weber might be able to deliver more at the top end. After all, more air= more fuel. The trouble with just making the venturis bigger though, is that makes the airspeed lower, and the pressure differences lower. It's all a big compromise. In normal driving, there's probably little difference.