Weber 32/34 2nd stage throttle problem.

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by LawrenceVDub, Jan 12, 2013.

1. LawrenceVDub New Member

Hi, so I've just fitted my brand new weber 32/34 dmtl to my 1990 1.6 Jetta.

The problem is that when i put my foot right down, ie. open the second larger throttle valve the engine power drops and it will not rev over 4k with both throttle valves open, but it will rev right up if you only use the first throttle valve.

This means the car runs fine for around town, but not as exciting as I'd like!

I had the mixture set up at the garage during the MOT to have a CO value of just over 3% which the mechanic recommended for smooth running.

I thought it could be pulling in air under the carb so i replaced the rubber carb flange that i connect the weber adaptor plate to.

I have also checked the timing to make sure it is at 18degs BTDC as Haynes has suggested for original cam on 1.6

Any ideas what the problem could be? bad set up? running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance! Lawrence.

2. LawrenceVDub New Member

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Sounds like its running very lean or you have an air leak somewhere. Also just over 3% co is a bit high

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

What size jets are you running out of interest.

5. LawrenceVDub New Member

Thanks for the advice, do you mean a vacuum leak? Think it would be worth taking it to another garage to be set up then?

Not sure exactly which, but i bought it brand new from FastRoadCars, the kit that they recommend for that engine size.

6. LawrenceVDub New Member

UPDATE

I cleaned out all the jets that has helped it to run smoother, but when I open the second stage throttle valve, fuel and air is pushed back up and out of the carb. I was thinking this could be due to valve sticking? or getting a crossflow?