Weber 32/34 DMTL - Choke setting? - Update

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Megaross, May 12, 2014.

1. Megaross Forum Member

Hi all,

I've been running the Weber for a while now but I can't get the choke to work.

I first had it set to clamp shut on full choke (obviously not going to work...) then had a fiddle to see where it works best.

Thing is, the choke doesn't actually seem to make any difference to the engine until right at the end where it goes to nudge the throttle but by that point it only increases revs a tiny amount then if you go too far it splutters and dies.

I'm wondering what the best way to proceed is - on cold start the engine revs are so low it feels like the engine is going to sputter and die any minute so I end up giving it some throttle until it's warmed up and sitting at 800 or so.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I was hoping to find the complete installation guide for the 32/34 DMTL in PDF form but no joy as yet; I still have a hard copy somewhere.

There might be some useful information here:

http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/carforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11053

Specifically this page of the Weber installation guide:

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/OldMacRocco/003-10.jpg

Potentially useful Weber Troubleshooting Guide:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/v/vspfiles/images/Weber%20Trouble%20Shooting%20Guide.pdf

3. Megaross Forum Member

Cheers buddy.

I followed the guide and setup guide that rubjonny suggested (that guide, in his sig if you wanted to get a copy). No vac leaks or anything, it runs fantastic when it's up to temperature.

I was thinking this morning although I've not have a minute to look, there's like a screw bit that the choke lever pressed on at the end of it's travel that gives it some gas and raises the revs. Should this wind out a bit or something?

4. EZ does it Forum Member

Does the choke flap operate properly? This is just as important as the increase in throttle.

5. Megaross Forum Member

Yeah the flap seems to be about the only thing which does operate on the choke, it only gets an increase in throttle at the end of it's travel when there's a tiny tiny gap and then it floods the engine and kills it.

It goes from full open to clamped shut with no binding.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

You might want to check that your pulldown unit operates (i.e. opens the choke flap a bit from fully closed when you suck on its vacuum pipe). If it is working, you should be able to set things up so the choke flap is fully closed - or very nearly so - when the choke is pulled right out. If it isn't working, you won't.

7. Megaross Forum Member

Is the pulldown unit that bit on the back with a length of vac hose going from one to the other?

8. Megaross Forum Member

Right I have tested it, if I pull off the hose which goes from the airbox and put my finger on it then the PDU moves a little bit but it returns to nothing when I put the hose back on the airbox.

Could it be that I've got it hooked up wrong or that my airbox isn't allowing the hose to get any vaccum?

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I'm confused by that description of what you've tried. The vacuum comes from the inlet manifold, via the carb, not from the airbox. You should have just two vacuum hoses on the Weber, one going from the pulldown unit to the carb body, and the other going from just beneath that one on the carb, to the airbox stuff. As described in this post:

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...old-air-flap&p=1339659&viewfull=1#post1339659

Airbox hose to 'G', pulldown hose to just above. Is yours like this? If it isn't re-plumb it so it is.

What I was trying to describe was that with engine off and choke fully pulled out, disconnect the carb end of the pulldown unit's vac hose and suck on it (probably need to extend it to do this, borrow the hard plastic vac pipe that goes to the airbox). The choke flap should open a few mm and stay there if you block the end of the sucked pipe with your tongue.

10. Megaross Forum Member

EDIT: Rebuilt it properly today and got it running

Definitely the pull down unit busted, guess it's time to evaluate my options because I don't think they make spares.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014