Weber 32/34 DMTL Pump Jet Leaking

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Brenjacques, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Brenjacques New Member

Hi Everyone

I've got a Weber 32/34 DMTL fitted onto my Mk2 Scirocco 1.8 and I've been having a problem with the pump jet leaking when the engine is switched off, it pools onto the butterfly then ends up leaking out of the throttle shaft end and onto the manifold, not really ideal.

I've had the carb stripped, cleaned and serviced including new diaphragm but it hasn't cured the fault and just wondered if anybody here has had the same problem and managed to cure it. Makes starting a bit rough too as I presume some finds it's way down into the manifold. Beginning to consider digging out the Pierburg I removed a few years ago and getting it cleaned up, rebuilt and fitted back onto the car instead.

2. watercooled Forum Member

Is the float level correct and the float valve sealing ? ,cheers

3. Brenjacques New Member

Yes they're both fine, float level correct and also replaced the float valve for extra insurance. Both me and the guy who refurbed it can't find any problem that would be causing it, when in operation it's fine but after switch off is when the problem starts. Have considered percolation but the carb doesn't even get hot, just slightly warm to the touch even after a good run.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is it running the original mechanical fuel pump plus swirl pot?

5. Brenjacques New Member

Yes it is, both the fuel pump and swirl pot are the originals though both seem to be in good order.

6. watercooled Forum Member

Can't remember but do these carbs run a return ? .

7. Brenjacques New Member

They do, I know some people swap out the swirl pot for a T piece like one of these:
    https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/...rettor-fuel-return-t-piece-re-stricter-union/

There's not much pressure at all left in the lines at switch off though, if I pulled the hose from the carb I'd get a small low pressure spurt, in fact I'd place it somewhere between a dribble and a spurt!

Thinking about it, it starts to leak a few minutes after switch off and not immediately. I've considered percolation which seems like the logical answer but the carb is barely warm to the touch when this happens. I can't remember if there is a pressure release valve that feeds back to the float chamber from the accelerator pump, I know some webers have this and it might be worth a check that it's working properly.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

tbh a lot of people bin the swirl pot altogether and just cap the return, and no issues like this...

9. chopperoli Forum Member

if the pump jet is leaking, first thing to try is replace it, are you aware there is a BB check valve inside it

10. Andy Lefevre New Member

hello I'm French so if my English isn't good I'm sorry, I just changed my carburetor by a weber 32 34 DMTL and I have the same problem as you. I'd like to know if this has been resolved ?